Sign in to follow this  
Tuggle

Concept

Alright .. this is an inquiry to which sort of concept should be used. Essentially I'm developing a strategic game, you're presented with a non-interactive map of three fictional countries; _X1, _X2, _X3. So far I'm just using a detailed hand drawn JPG map. You control national policy, war, etc. from at the bottom of the screen. Now, an example of one of the things I want to do is, instead of having a simple slider to determine who is 'winning the war' I want the land of _X1 to slowly be absorbed into _X2 Right there it's obvious that I'm going to have to abandon my current system, so what I've done is resorted to drawing the countries through simple drawing mechanisms, i.e. X 463 Y 169 -> X 463 Y 122 -> Whatever -> Whatever, you get the idea. Unfortuneatly, this leads to horribly straight and uninteresting landmasses. So I've largely abandoned that, though it is open to reform. What I'm thinking of doing now is similar to what I described above except instead of drawing point to point, I'd fill in everything inbetween, ( programs that can do such a thing from an image ? ) which with additions, could hopefully lead to nice tumours protruding out. I'm entirely new to this, and any ideas, really, which could help me accomplish my goals would be appreciated.

What are you using to determine a country's ownership of land? Population? Military strength? You may be able to do a radius of certain areas proportional to their population or strength. So as more people move in, or a military base acquires more personel the radius grows, and so does the country's borders.

Additionally, you should look into coastline generation using fractals. Hope this helps.

I'm using an initially fixed area of land, whose ownership can change during war determined by battles. The size gained during a battle will be proportional to the size of the country, and number of battles. To deal with size differences between countries.

During each turn, while at war, a fixed number of units from each country is allowed to 'battle' it's a very simple sort of rock, paper, scissors system with modifiers to determine the winner.

The war lasts as long as each side has units, etc.