Sign in to follow this  
Terminalkillah

Fedora Core 4

Terminalkillah    122
Hi All, i thought id install fedora core 4 on my laptop, and it installed with no problems but when it starts up it crashes when loading it gets to checking PCIMA Cards or something so i decided to try put windows back on to it so i rebooted and this is what i get Press any key to boot form CD... i hit <enter> Sytem is checking hardware and then a black screen and nothing happens Any ideas... any help is appriecated Cheers Richard

joanusdmentia    1060
What version of windows are you trying to install? 2000 and XP shouldn't have any problems with an ext2 partition, they can't read it but they should still be able to delete and re-format the partition. Still, try the manual fdisk anyway, you never know your luck.

As for Fedora, do you have any PCMCIA cards plugged in? If you do try removing them, if not try booting fedora in interactive mode (can't remember the key combo to do it, it shows a message telling you as it boots what to press). This way you can step through the boot sequence and skip the check for PCMCIA cards, allowing you to get to the OS and fix whatever the problem is (at the worst, you could totaly disable the PCMCIA check).

Terminalkillah    122
I am a complete noob to linux and its starting to piss me off beacause all i want to do is get windows back on it and i cant use fdisk beacause i cant get a command prompt and i dont know how to fomat in linux cos i dont know any of the commands so if anybody know how i can fix this please let me know

Mercury    776
I had the same problem when trying to install Windows XP after having FC on there. From the command line try 'cfdisk' or 'fdisk'. You're going to want to remove all the partitions. Don't bother formatting them because Windows will do it when you install it.

If all else fails, you could get a third-party partitioning system that will fit on a floppy or some such. I used this to revive many a broken system.

Mercury    776
Isn't there a partition manager in Fedora Core's installation? You could just "reinstall" it, but bail out before doing any of the installing and just delete all the partitions.
Worth a shot.

TDragon    679
I recently ran into what may be similar trouble when restoring W98SE to my laptop after having shared it with Mandriva Linux. (Note: it's not that Mandriva Linux didn't work for me; it's just that 98SE is a bit faster since it's a lower-end spec.)

I ended up jumping backwards through every hoop that exists to finally get it working. This was partly because the laptop, a Toshiba Portege 7200CTe, didn't come with a real Windows installation CD, but rather a "Configuration Builder" that provided its own sadistic hoop course. However, once I finally managed, I finally had under my belt a surefire way of totally resetting the hard drive, including MBR (the source of most of my headaches and probably yours as well), to allow Windows to be installed from scratch. It involves both a Windows (read: DOS) boot floppy and a Linux boot floppy, and esoteric fdisk commands in each.

Unfortunately the information is currently residing on my home desktop, and I'm typing this up from my work PC. But if you're interested, when I get home I'll look it up and post you a synopsis.

Cheers,
Twilight Dragon

Terminalkillah    122
Yeah thanks alot TDragon if you can do that for me beacause this is developing into a massive headache for me if you can email it to me at terminalkillah@hotmail.com thats would be excellent

Cheers
Richard

TDragon    679
If you can find a way to get a DOS command prompt with the fdisk utility available from a CD, yes. You'll have to also make sure your partition table is totally clean, either from the FC4 installer (I've never used it; does it have a custom partitioning option?), or from a Linux shell prompt (I can provide instructions for running Linux fdisk from it if you can get to it).

By the way, it's my opinion that purchasing a PC (desktop or laptop) without a floppy drive is, at this point in time, a mistake. I know you can't change that now, but for near-future reference...

Cheers,
Twilight Dragon

joesnow    122
Terminalkillah

this happened to me at one point, and every time since the same solution has worked (on desktop PC's)

get the harddisk manufacturer's utility disk (either bootable floppy or CD ISO) and write 0's to the first and last million sectors of the harddrive, then try the windows setup again.

this worked even when trying to fdisk the MBR didn't.

gl on that

Sabuna    122
I noticed on an earlier post you ran cfdisk so I'm assuming you're using a bootable CD like Knoppix or SLAX. Great tools! I even carry a USB flash drive that boots the KillBill version of SLAX. Most of these also have "parted" and "qparted" on them for working with partitions.

Using cfdisk with the -z should take care of your problem. This starts the program without reading the existing partition table.

For example run "cfdisk -z /dev/hda" and then delete the existing partition(s). Then you can reload your Micro$oft OS.

The fact that you tried Linux is encouraging though. Don't give up!

Sign in to follow this