Fedora Core 4

Started by
16 comments, last by Sabuna 18 years, 6 months ago
Hi All, i thought id install fedora core 4 on my laptop, and it installed with no problems but when it starts up it crashes when loading it gets to checking PCIMA Cards or something so i decided to try put windows back on to it so i rebooted and this is what i get Press any key to boot form CD... i hit <enter> Sytem is checking hardware and then a black screen and nothing happens Any ideas... any help is appriecated Cheers Richard
Advertisement
get an external hard drive. Install windows to it from your laptop. fdisk and reformat your laptops hard drive. Install windows to your laptop again.
or boot with a system disk with utilities on it and :fdisk /mbr
SDBradley
CGP
"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read." ~Mark Twain
What version of windows are you trying to install? 2000 and XP shouldn't have any problems with an ext2 partition, they can't read it but they should still be able to delete and re-format the partition. Still, try the manual fdisk anyway, you never know your luck.

As for Fedora, do you have any PCMCIA cards plugged in? If you do try removing them, if not try booting fedora in interactive mode (can't remember the key combo to do it, it shows a message telling you as it boots what to press). This way you can step through the boot sequence and skip the check for PCMCIA cards, allowing you to get to the OS and fix whatever the problem is (at the worst, you could totaly disable the PCMCIA check).
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
cheers guys ill give everything you have said a go and see if can get it working again, Im trying to install xp home edition but still havent had any luck

I am a complete noob to linux and its starting to piss me off beacause all i want to do is get windows back on it and i cant use fdisk beacause i cant get a command prompt and i dont know how to fomat in linux cos i dont know any of the commands so if anybody know how i can fix this please let me know
I had the same problem when trying to install Windows XP after having FC on there. From the command line try 'cfdisk' or 'fdisk'. You're going to want to remove all the partitions. Don't bother formatting them because Windows will do it when you install it.

If all else fails, you could get a third-party partitioning system that will fit on a floppy or some such. I used this to revive many a broken system.
i tried cfdisk and fdisk in the terminal and it comes up sayin command not found ive got FC4 running now and i dont know how to fromat my hard disk in linux
Isn't there a partition manager in Fedora Core's installation? You could just "reinstall" it, but bail out before doing any of the installing and just delete all the partitions.
Worth a shot.
Yeah ill give thats a go im probably going to do it tomorrow cos ive got other stuff to do ill let everyone know tomorrow how it gone

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement