• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bmburditt

OpenGL vs Directx

This topic is 4791 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I use to be against OpenGL, but now in this huge market outside of just Windows, it's probably more benefitial to learn OpenGL. It would be more often used if you're going after portability with mobile phones, applets, desktop games, game consoles, etc. You just need to know where your target is, and start going after it. Are you a general programmer? Use OpenGL. Are you a Windows programmer? Use DirectX.

Advertisement
All I will say on the subject is do not let mere words on a programming forum choose the path you will take in programming your games. It is up to you to decide which to pursue more heavily. Feel-out both DirectX and OpenGL and see which framework suits your style best. No one says you must only know one set of APIs.

Quote:
Original post by thugkilla
Man just go with which one you like.Direct x or OpenGl....Most game company I'am pretty sure use there own library

... Wow...

I would think otherwise, I have never had to download or install any third party API set due to a game. But game companies do use there own engines, which probably mask a lot of the straight API calls.

These posts are somewhat pointless. There is no DirectX VS OpenGL. They each have their strong and weak points, which I'm not going to list, mostly cause I've never bothered with a side by side comparison, I use openGL personally, but mostly out of choice. I have tried both, and liked openGL better, it fits my style of thinking, but that doesnt mean it will fit yours. You might find DX works more the way you think.

They will both basically function the same, after all, 3d mathematic, texturing, lighting... etc, are all part of 3D programming. The difference is in how they organise it.

Quote:
Original post by thugkilla
Man just go with which one you like.Direct x or OpenGl....Most game company I'am pretty sure use there own library

Their own library that calls D3D or OGL.

As to the OP: here's what it breaks down to, from my perspective.
OpenGL has a more gradual initial learning curve. After you basically get the hang of things though, you will discover that OpenGL basically doesn't do shit for you. Either you will roll a lot (and I mean a lot) of code for yourself, or you will tap about half a dozen libraries, in order to get things to a state where you can actually make games. Direct3D, on the other hand, has a harsher learning curve, but provides so much more library support (along with the helper libraries like DirectMusic), that once you're started, you're good to go for a while.

It's really your choice in the end, though.

That's kind of what I was saying earlier; DirectX is an all-in-one package; it even does networking! (though MS recommeneds WinSock now...); while OGL is just that... an open graphics language. I think it's only logical to go with DX so there's a cosistency among all the source files of your game, but do whatever you want. And I know for a fact that VALVE uses DX; you need a DX9 capable card to download the latest expansion for HL2.
dxFoo, I know you made a thread about leaving for good... you just can't stay away!

Actually it's graphics library not graphics language.

And I don't understand why people always make a big deal about "OpenGL just does graphics wheras DirectX does sound, input etc". Direct3D and DirectInput and DirectMusic are all different libraries! You can use any without any of the others. Just because you download them all at once and they have the same basic format means nothing. You can use OpenGL with DirectInput. You can use Direct3D with SDL and OpenAL!

Sorry for the rant...

^ Exactly, OpenGL originated all of the graphics methods used in Direct3D. I use OpenGL for graphics, and DirectX for sound and input. That's what makes the most sense to me. Direct3D is not DirectX, it is only a part of DirectX. You don't have to use Direct3D to get the other features of DirectX.

I attempted to read through NeHe, but I couldn't get through the first step. His instructions for linking to the libraries don't jive with VS 2003.. there is no "Settings" option under Project, and I don't know how to link to libraries in VS 2003, 'cause I've never done it. :(

EDIT:

Figured it out. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!