OpenGL vs Directx

Started by
33 comments, last by Leo_E_49 18 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Simian Man
You can use OpenGL with DirectInput. You can use Direct3D with SDL and OpenAL!

Those aren't the libraries that are interesting to me. What is interesting to me is D3DX. That's D3D's main Thing.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Thank you all for your help. Your postings have been informative and entertaining. I think the best thing for me will be to try the NeHe tutorials and then a little D3D and see what I like. Again, thank you to everyone who posted a reply.
Quote:Original post by SippyCup
I have been wondering the same thing. I'm actually trying to find some good, current OpenGL coding examples, but I haven't really found any that I can understand.

Have a look at the the Red Book. If you have some cash, I recommend you check out Edward Angel's Interactive Computer Graphics. It covers fundamental graphics concepts, rendering techniques, shading algorithms, raytracing, buffer manipulation, data structures, and lots more. It uses OpenGL, GLUT, and GLSL for examples.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
If you're looking for OGL examples, you can also take a look at Beginning OpenGL Game Programming by Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkins (the owners of this site :grin:). I've heard it's pretty good.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Might I reccommend the OpenGL SuperBible. Imho, this is the best book or resource on OpenGL there is. The latest version also covers shaders.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement