Would this matter?

Started by
3 comments, last by Lacutis 18 years, 6 months ago
I want to make a game in SDL where it uses 32x32 tiles. The problem is: 32 goes into 800 25 times, but does not go into 600 perfectly even. I have to have the game 800x600. It's easy to work with and also allows me to place many tiles on the screen. So, could I take 600 and make it 608 for the resolution? Or would it not be a good idea? The only way to get into 608 is by taking 8 from 32 and keep adding it up, but having 8x8 tiles is a horrible idea.
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Advertisement
Why not just make your tile space 25x18 tiles, then use the extra 24 pixels for UI stuff (stats, status bar, fps, whatever)?
You could just show parts of tiles (which you're going to have to do anyway, if you implement smooth scrolling).
No. It would just be a bit bigger. But as Mushu suggested, you can use the left-over pixels for date like fps, health or something, money or something, you know, stuff like that.
-----------------------------....::::DRAGON BALL Z::::....C<<"+"<<"+"; // Go C++ !!!-----------------------------
Depending on what framework you are using you can have the "palette" that you draw your tiles onto be bigger than the actual screen size. You then copy the appropriate portion from your rendering space to the back buffer and display it. That also makes it easier to implement smooth scrolling.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement