Sign in to follow this  
AntiGuy

Save Data

What's the best way to save game data. I was thinking using notepad but someone could easily make their way to the file and get wherever they want in the game. Thanks in advance.

If your game is popular enough, they will get whatever they want in the game anyway. If you want to keep passive users from messing with the save game data, saving it in binary mode would be a start.

If you are talking about an online game (where keeping saved data safe), then you save it on the server where players can't access it.

Quote:
Original post by AntiGuy
What's the best way to save game data. I was thinking using notepad but someone could easily make their way to the file and get wherever they want in the game. Thanks in advance.

As dude above me mentioned, server side is where you need to hold all your multiplayer information, so they can't access it and change their stats and anything else in that file/database you wouldn't want them to be able to change.

Though, if its just a single player game, you may want to make it as easy as possible to change around in certain ways. After all, if they want to ruin or enhance their experience with your game as they see fit, why not let them? Least thats my opinion, they'll eventually figure it out someway or another... why not make it easy for them? Who know's maybe they will add something to the game, modifying the files isn't always cheating, it can be a balancing act.