really powerfull engine

Started by
4 comments, last by Kelly G 18 years, 6 months ago
hi, i'm writing a horror game and i was wondering whats the highest ammount of renderable objects a top notch pc can handle. my plan was about 350 people on screen with a 60-65 fps. is this crazy? (don't tell me that i'm on crack)
Matt : mattb0001@hotmail.comClick me please
Advertisement
Depends on how big they are, how many polys, what animation techniques you're using, how detailed the rest of the environment is, how much processing is required for physics/AI.
think of 3D RTS games. they handle amount about half that, with relative ease on most pc's. you'd benefit from having different detail models though. eg. when only one is on screen, have a high detail model, and when hundreds are onscreen, have a lower detail version.
Boris The Sneaky Russian
Is it something like "Dead Rising" for the XBox 360, that you want?
They seem to have thousands of zombies running around.
Especially check out the TGS 2005 Trailer and Game Play movie 2 (I've seen a better movies elsewhere, can't find them now though).
It depends on a quite a few other things such as what visual effects you have in your scene (bump mapping, real-time lighting, shadows, specularity), how high resolution your environment is, how optimized your game stuff is (AI, network stuff, GUI overlays, etc.)

It certainly is possible, but you're going to have to find a mix between what would look good and what would run well.
Don't forget that by the time you finish your game, technology will have improved over what it is now. Those in the industry keep this in mind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement