dll linking

Started by
9 comments, last by BloodLust666 18 years, 6 months ago
how do i "statically" link dll's within my code? I'm wanting to do this so ppl running my programs don't need to find that file.
-------------------------Unless specified otherwise, my questions pertain:Windows Platform (with the mindset to keep things multi-platform as possible)C++Visual Studio 2008OpenGL with SFML
Advertisement
You must have sources of that DLL, or you must have LIB with compiled code in them.
ai-blog.org: AI is discussed here.
I have them, i want them staticly linked (in code)
-------------------------Unless specified otherwise, my questions pertain:Windows Platform (with the mindset to keep things multi-platform as possible)C++Visual Studio 2008OpenGL with SFML
[disclaimer]
Keep in mind that I am posting this assuming that you are developing for Win32 platform.
[/disclaimer]

you have the actual source code for the project? If so then just make a project that creates a static library and add all the source / header files to it. The process for creating projects will differ depending on which IDE you use (look in the documentation for it)

If you already have a library then I am not sure if that will help you because chances are its the importlib that is just used for linking to the dll. I don't think static libs == importlibs because I'm pretty sure an importlib only contains information about the exported functions/classes for the dll.
moe.ron
all i'm trying to do is link a dll to my code. just like i am doing with my lib files:

#pragma comment(lib, filename)

would it just be the same thing with a dll:
// #pragma comment(dll, filename) ?
Quote:Original post by EvilKnuckles666
all i'm trying to do is link a dll to my code. just like i am doing with my lib files:

#pragma comment(lib, filename)

would it just be the same thing with a dll:
// #pragma comment(dll, filename) ?

No, by definition of a DLL. In order to statically link it, you need to recompile a static library, which is easy to do.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
see, thing is, i don't have the source for the dll, in fact, it's "d3dx9_26.dll" i'm trying to link.
If you do that, the dll will still need to be present when you run the program.

You could compile the dll into the executable as a resource. You would then need to write it to a file somewhere before calling LoadLibrary on it.
ok, i can add it to the resource folder. how would i do the "loadlibrary"? can you show me an example?
or a tutorial on how to link a dll with loadlibrary

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement