Two models complete (one hopefully for game)! Feedback request.

Started by
5 comments, last by jellywerker 18 years, 6 months ago
hey all! well, this is really the first time i've been able to post in this forum with something i'd actually consider putting straight into a game! i hope it will be the first of many posts with the same idea but for now, lets just get to my topic: i've been able to complete a model of a tree a couple of days ago and have just decided i would like to see what all of you think, as i am quite proud of it. i've tried to model trees before but none that have really been that great (or even look liked a tree), but this one is hopefully my first step to good 3d model design for games! Tree: Polygons: 772 now i know the first thing many of you will think is, "thats quite blocky" or something similar. just to let you know, this is sort of the style i'd like to use for my first 3d game (not real smooth and detailed but still good), both so i can see how many polygons/triangles a 3d game that i make can render at a decent speed, and so i can get the hang of basic 3d design before i jump further into it. i would love to hear what all of you think about this model and how you think i could improve the design (textures aren't priority at the moment), so get the feedback coming! [smile] also, since i'm posting about some of my art, i thought i'd show this model i did for a school graphics assignment: Polygons: 5231 i'm sure a lot of you recognise this as the "Liger Zero" from Zoids. my whole assignment was based around this model and all the components of it. being my last assignment for graphics, i wanted to go all-out for it and thats just what i did. i was extremely proud of the way this model turned out, however, this doesn't really suit games because of the polygon count and it's more technically correct than "eye-candy" correct! [wink] anyway, thats my work so far. please feel free to comment on any part of wither model, but remember, the tree model is the one i want to use in a game so it's the one i'd like more criticism on (but would still like to hear what you think of the liger model).
the_moo
Advertisement
Blocky or not, it is obvious you have put a lot of work into this. Keep up the good work.

P.S. I like the the randomness in the direction of the tree leaves.
SDBradley
CGP
"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read." ~Mark Twain
The robot tiger thing looks fantastic. Too many polys to be practical for game use, but impressive none the less.

The tree is very awkward. The leaves are too big, the and the branches are unnatural. The tree trunk is also too uniform, and not natural. However, if your style is more of "robotic" than "organic", then I think it fits well.
Nonsense, it depends entirely on the game whether the current complexity would be usable or not. Also, I believe the leaves appear large because it is untextured. In the end it would have leaf textures that would have a good deal of transparency. Pretty much any tree appears to have big leaves if you render the polys as solids, since they arent really the leaves at all, just the quads or whatever that the leaf texture will go on.
Those are very good, can I ask what modeling package your using?

As a note about the tree, I think the only way to do a tree justice (if a realistic model is your aim) is to model it the same way nature does. So the tree must split and grow outwards... I've done a little example..

>
180 faces.

Usualy the trunk divides, one central shaft will continue upward (and continue dividing) while the offshoots spread outward, and divide themselves. Each time they get smaller.

Cutting, Extrude, repeat. When your done, move everything into a nice tree shape :)

Maybe you're not aiming for that look, but anyway its worth knowing!
------ ----- ---- --- -- -Export-Games.com is searching for talented and friendly developers. Visit our Help Wanted post for more info!My Indie development uber Journal - A game production walk through.
thanks for the great feedback everyone!
DrEvil puts a good point forward about size and texturing, but i've yet to decide on how the textures will work with the model (later down the track i will be [wink]).
DogCity>>the liger model was done using Amapi 3D 4.15 (the only free version of amapi) and the tree model was done with Amapi Pro 7.5 (which is unfortunately a trial which i have about 25 days left on - trying to get as much use out of it [wink]!).
i had attempted to do the sort of thing you suggested, but was trying to move away from huge limbs at the top of the tree because i didn't want to have to have too many smaller branches where they separate (and hence, have more polys). i understand exactly what you're saying though so thanks for the tip.

thanks again for the feedback! keep it coming!
the_moo
the tree could use some slight editing, it seems to have too many poly's defining the roundness of the trunk, and that the roots are created from a different base mesh, it should have been extrued from an 8 or 5 sided cylinder, it looks better and saves poly's. Other than that, I love the tree, it just needs a nice texture, uv with alpha (should have textured it prior to placing the leaves, would have made things tons easier)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement