about a MMORPG

Started by
3 comments, last by josh1billion 18 years, 6 months ago
Hi all, I have a few question about developing a MMORPG: 1. What DBMS should I use? (MySQL/SQLServer/...) 2. If I finished a MMORPG, how can I put the Server online? Plz give me the detail info about how to get a dedicated IP,... Thank you very much ;)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by g8minhquan
1. What DBMS should I use? (MySQL/SQLServer/...)

There's the constant debate of course about how much MySQL can handle, but you're probably not going to reach the point where you need more power than it can provide. I'd suggest you just stick with what you know.
Quote:2. If I finished a MMORPG, how can I put the Server online?

You leave your server application connected to the internet and listening for connections.
Quote:Plz give me the detail info about how to get a dedicated IP,...

More important than a dedicated IP is a static IP, so that your client will know where to connect to (though there are ways to do this with a dynamic IP, its much easier to just have the server on a static one). You'll probably have to contact your ISP about it.
One thing that should be mentioned (that you don't seem to realize) is that you will probably have to run the server from your own computer on your own internet connection.

This means your server will only be online when your computer is on, and your personal internet connection may lag up if there are many people playing your game at once.
Website (with downloads of my games)
Blog (updates on current projects)
Seeds of Time Online has returned!
Quote:Original post by josh1billion
This means your server will only be online when your computer is on, and your personal internet connection may lag up if there are many people playing your game at once.

Heh, that's the beauty of having an extra system on uni lines... as long as they don't find out, that is ;)
Quote:Original post by Mushu
Quote:Original post by josh1billion

Heh, that's the beauty of having an extra system on uni lines... as long as they don't find out, that is ;)

That's awesome.. do most universities have internet access right in the dorm rooms or would you have to run it from a classroom? I'm still a couple of years away from college myself (still in high school).
Website (with downloads of my games)
Blog (updates on current projects)
Seeds of Time Online has returned!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement