Free 3d game authoring tool needed!!

Started by
8 comments, last by programwizard 18 years, 6 months ago
I have been doing 2d game programming for a while now and would like to go onto 3d, and don't know where to start so I was thinking a free 3d tool would be great for me to start with. Any suggestions??
Advertisement
Blender? http://www.blender.com
Not really. I class that more as a modelling program and I find it very hard to make games in it. I would prefer an easy-to use one.
When you say "free 3D tool" what exactly do you mean? A game engine? A 3D library?
Sorry I mean like a game authoring tool. No-programming-required sort of thing. Just to get me going with the basic idea.
I guess making a level in UnrealEd or Hammer would be good to get you some ideas about how 3d games are designed. If you have any Unreal game or Half Life or HL2, give it a try.
You may try Alice
Quote:Original post by Guimo
You may try Alice

Is this thing good enough to make quite large games?
Yes this is powerful enough. But I should remind you stated you are trying to get the basics of 3d development. As any packaged tool it has its limitations.

Alice is used in the Carnegie Mellon to teach 3D concepts and game development. Should be enough for your inmediate needs and... its free...

If you are willing to pay more, there are low cost tools, just check TheGameCreators website or GameStudio.

Now once tou are truly comfortable you can get a good (and cheap) engine like Torque, Truevision3D, CrystalSpace, Ogre or others. With those and Visual Studio you can make a really good game.

Now... if you really want to get under the hood, learn DirectX and/or OpenGL with C++

Luck!
Guimo
If you want to make "quite large games", you need to use a programming language and an API, no way around it. Caligari gameSpace Light, which you can download for free at www.caligari.com/gamespace, Let's you make 3D models for use in your games, and you can even make a game right in gSL by animating your models with Python scripts. I played a Pong demo that came with the package, it's pretty cool...
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement