Sign in to follow this  
bargasteh

GPU programming(SOS)

bargasteh    100
Hello everybody I have a newbies question to ask. I want to learn programming on GPU, I know that GPUs are very fast in calculation even sometime faster than CPU but there are some logical limitations. for example lets say I want to write a physics program, I want to do some of the calculations in CPU and some other in GPU. Firstly I want to know what sort of calculations could be done in GPU? and when I have to do this? Second question is that where is the starting point for me to start programming for GPU ?! Thank you many times. [Edited by - bargasteh on October 14, 2005 4:45:05 PM]

demonkoryu    980
The standard site for General Purpose computation on GPUs is http://www.gpgpu.org/.
The general approach is:

-Prepare your input data as texture maps
-Create an output render target
-For each pixel in the output target, run the pixel shader
-Read out the result data from the rendertarget

Edit: owned by Sneftel

superpig    1825
Your second question has been pretty thoroughly taken care of, but I'll just give you an idea for the first one:

Quote:
Original post by bargasteh
Firstly I want to know what sort of calculations could be done in GPU?

All your standard math ops are available - exponents, logarithms, trigonometry, modulo, power - it doesn't go as far as bitwise operators and integer math yet.

However, the actual nuts-and-bolts of the way things are calculated is not as important as choosing the right kind of operation to move to the GPU - you want to focus on things where the same sequence of instructions is to be performed for a large number of data entries. For example, updating a particle system - lots of particles to be processed, and the update process is basically the same for each one. Operations that have lots of interdependencies and conditional work in them causing the sequence of instructions to be different for each object (e.g. high-level AI), or systems where a small number of objects are processed (e.g. input handling), are not good candidates.

bargasteh    100
Is there any of you who knows, how I can use GPU to find the collision between fabric and solid object using image-space based intersection ?
I need to either code it from scrach or use another library (commercial or non-commercial). I know about CULLIDE already, but they dont have the code for download does any of you know how I can download it or get it?
Is there any of you who wants to help me to create the next generation collision detection for our amazing fabric simulator?

Please send me messsage or email me here: bargasteh @ aol . com