Sign in to follow this  
chaoticseedx

Collision Detection

chaoticseedx    122
I know a little about collision detection like the formula for sphere collision and cube collision detection but im not sure as to what i have to do with setting the d3d functions that i want to use and is using these D3DXComputeBoundingBox Function D3DXComputeBoundingSphere Function the best way to go.... I have a room with walls and a wall in the middle of the room i want the camera to not go through the walls or anything it shouldnt!!!!! Can someone send me to a good tutorial maybe thanks!!! ~Chaos

Aldenar    378
The D3DX functions you mentionned will give you the bounding volumes of your geometry, but they will not perform acual collision detection and response.

There is a good tutorial about that on the Peroxide web site, called "Improved Collision Detection & Response". It is mostly about an ellipsoid that is colliding with a set of triangles, but that pretty close to what you are looking for. Your camera might as well be a small sphere (a sphere is just an ellipsoid with a uniform scaling factor) and the walls can be treated as a triangle soup.

Good luck :)