• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dcosborn

Conjugate matrix

This topic is 4666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been working on a set of matrix functions and I'm done all the basics except for finding the conjugate of a matrix. My linear algebra experience is extremely limited and, from what I can gather, to find the conjugate of a matrix I need to conjugate each of the elements as complex numbers. Therein lies the problem as I don't know how one would get a complex number (z = x + iy) from a single float. Anyone up for helping a math noob?

Advertisement
But that would mean conjugating a matrix of floats would be like doing nothing... I guess that makes my job easier.

Yes, the conjugate of a real matrix is the original matrix, so you don't have to do anything. Why did you think you need a conjugate function in the first place if you're not dealing with complex numbex numbers?

Well I was just reading about linear algebra on many different sites, some of which were focused on general mathematics rather than 3D gamedev. I was actually implementing matrix inversion and I read that I needed to find the adjoint, which in turn requires the conjugate (if I remember right). I guess with my limited math experience I just got a bit lost. Anyway, I've tossed the conjugate and adjoint functions and used a simple transpose instead.

Quote:
Well I was just reading about linear algebra on many different sites, some of which were focused on general mathematics rather than 3D gamedev. I was actually implementing matrix inversion and I read that I needed to find the adjoint, which in turn requires the conjugate (if I remember right).
Are you sure it wasn't the classical adjoint? Matrix inverse can be formulated as adj(A)/|A|, where adj() is the classical adjoint and || is the determinant. It doesn't involve the conjugate or complex numbers (AFAIK).
Quote:
I guess with my limited math experience I just got a bit lost. Anyway, I've tossed the conjugate and adjoint functions and used a simple transpose instead.
Transpose is only equivalent to inverse in special cases, so it's not a substitute for general inversion. There are different ways to invert a matrix, but for small matrices (N = 2 through 4 and even a little higher), adj/det is a fairly standard method to use. For one thing, an in-place implementation is branchless (except perhaps for checking for singularity), which can be good for performance.

For larger matrices you can employ other methods, such as Gauss-Jordan elimination.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!