Sign in to follow this  
greenpaper

educational software

Since educational software is stereotypically poorly done, I'd bet the most common format is BMP.
Depending on your data, you probably want to use either PNG or JPG, but iirc there are patent issues with JPG so you're pretty much stuck with PNG.

I think you're thinking of GIF or MPG stuff, because to the best of my knowledge JPG is free to use.

I did like the comment about the BMP though.

But seriously, who cares what's the most popular? Just use whatever works for you. If it's BMP, so be it. If it's a raw bitmap, go for it. If you can find a way to generate the image procedurally using repeated calls on a discrete function, awesome.

Quote:
Original post by greenpaper
Are you working in education software industry? If you are, can you tell me that in current education software industry, what is the most popular format for storing picture? Thanks.

Whatever gives you the idea that educational software would store images in a different format than usual software? Use whatever works - TGA is pretty good for a lot of applications, so you could probably go with that.

Remember - there's nothing special about educational software except that it (supposedly) achieves something educational, apart from that it's just like any other piece of software, so pick an image format that suits the needs of the specific project.