Nothing says Halloween like Verdana ( Need Distributable Font Source )

Started by
4 comments, last by Ravuya 18 years, 6 months ago
I recently started writing a pumpkin growing sim in Java. I made all the graphics for it myself and wrote all the code myself. The problem I am having is that the game is using standard windows fonts. No problem right? Get on google and there are thosands of free Halloween fonts for download. Then you read the Terms of Use... no distribution, period. Basically I have a few options: 1) Write companies asking for written permission (I already sent a request out to a few companies, will call others tommorrow) 2) Make my own font (this is hard as hell, and probably would suck when I was done with it anyway) 3) Stick with good old Times New Roman (it doesn't look Horrible, just doesn't look good) 4) Use fonts anyway, deny downloading them from site - lie and say they were from anyother site that must have stolen them. If sued, change fonts - game is going to be freeware anyway, not like there will be profits to protect. What do you guys reccomend doing? Do you know of any sites that allow fonts to be redistributed freely or non-commerically?
I think there's to much blood in my caffeine system.
Advertisement
look for freeware fonts...they are everywhere...flashkit.com has a bunch..some are shareware..but some people dont mind if you use them commercially...they will be the ones marked freewhere when you browse it..
We have youth, how about a fountain of smart.e4 e5 f4 d5
Theres also a lot of relatively cheap distributable fonts if you can't find any free ones. I recall getting a couple for my school game project last year. They were something like 10-20 bucks.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Just wanted to point out that your third option may not be viable either. The fonts included with your OS/word processor may well not be licensed for redistribution. You'd be ok reading the font from within your program, and distributing it only to people with the same OS, but if you wanted to supply the font glyphs in your own texture file, or distribute them with a cross platform app, you likely wouldn't be allowed to (at least not with Windows fonts AFAIK).
Font licensing is slightly unusual. While font files (and in general, the font implementation) can be copyrighted, the typeface itself cannot be (in the US). Which means that though you may not be able to redistribute the font file, you can use the font itself in your game. You could, for example, render the font to a bitmap, and use the bitmap in the game (of course, glyph width and kerning may become an issue).
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I use some of the fonts from freakyfonts.de -- however I asked the site owner beforehand for permission and credit him. He was very nice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement