Sign in to follow this  
AdamWebb

[.net] Concerning .NET 2.0

So the betas have been out for a while and the new DirectX SDK has started to support .NET 2 - my question is, will developing under the .NET 2 betas make it easier to port applications to Vista, or is there likely to be another release of the .NET framework prior to the release of the new OS? I'm about to start work on a new game that I'm targeting towards both Windows XP and Window Vista based machines, which version of the .NET framework do you advise I use...

While I imagine 2.0 will be closer to the framework as it will stand when Vista is released, there will no doubt be a new version that will coincide with Vista. I've already seen talk of features for C# 3.0, so I'd expect a .NET Framework 3.0 as well. So yes, I'd say go with 2.0. The final release will be out in November with VS2005 so it being beta isn't an issue, and it'll run quite happily on Vista. But, don't expect it to be current when Vista comes out.

Perhaps more importantly you should take a look at WinFX Beta 1 and its SDK.

These are my own unfounded opinions. I'm really just guessing....

Use whichever version you like. .NET 2.0 is a superset of .NET 1.0/1.1 except for a few breaking changes, meaning your .NET 1.1 app will likely run on .NET 2.0 without modifications. Plus if that's not the case, it's always possible to require .NET 1.1 for your app. Remember that .NET frameworks are designed to exist side by side.

Of course, you can move to 2.0 and get neat features like generics, an extended class library (winforms is finally decent with its new layout capabilities), and other new language features.

one thing you might want to take into consideration is that there are still many win xp users who don't have the .net framework 1.1 installed, and I'd guess that the adoption of .net 2 will be pretty slow as well.

For Vista, I expect any .net framework app (whether 1.1 or 2.0) will work without any porting required (that's one of the benefits of developing on the framework). It will likely also come bundled with both versions of the framework, so no worries as to whether users have them installed or not.

As for the .net framework 3.0, I wouldn't worry about it anytime soon. It's been about 3 years to go from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0, so I would be very surprised to see it released before Vista (which is being released late next year). It also just seems like a bad idea to release a new framework so soon, when many developers haven't even begun development using the 2.0 framework. I suspect MS has begun talks about features for the 3.0 framework, and many people are wrongfully thinking that means it'll be released soon. Remember, there have been talks about features for DX10 for years now.

We will probably see a minor version increment when vista is released. I don't think that Windows Vista has a hard dependency on much of anything anymore, let alone the next version of the .Net framework and VS.Net.