Sign in to follow this  
abdhk383

directx and game engines??!!!!

hi guys i just wanted to ask what is the role of the game engine and how does it used with directx or opengl this matter is not obvious to me can i integerate a 3d game without using a game engine just use directx or if i had a good game engine can i use it to develope a full game without the need to deal directly with directx???!!!!!!

Quote:

hi guys i just wanted to ask what is the role of the game engine and how does it used with directx or opengl

The role of a game engine is to provide you with basecode I think, and make you able to consentrate on the game you're making instead.

DirectX and OpenGL are API's the latter being a graphics API, meaning that It's renders graphics to the screen. Therefore, DirectX and OpenGL is used to render graphics to the screen.

DirectX can also be used to get player input or to play sounds and music.

Quote:

can i integerate a 3d game without using a game engine

Yes, I think so. But its much more time consuming.

Quote:

Just use directx

Yes, but again. It's much wiser of you to get or make a game engine.

Quote:

or if i had a good game engine can i use it to develope a full game without the need to deal directly with directx???!!!!!!

Yes!

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Original post by abdhk383
hi guys i just wanted to ask what is the role of the game engine and how does it used with directx or opengl

What is the role of the game engine? Difficult question. I'm not going to try to give a complete explanation, but a game engine is a collection of functions and classes which you use to build the actual game. The best way to get an idea of what a game engine is and how it works, might be to look at one, like OGRE.
A game engine, like OGRE, will take care of the low-level API calls, and give the developer a higher level interface, so that you can, for example, load 3D models and animate them.

Quote:

this matter is not obvious to me
can i integerate a 3d game without using a game engine

You can definitely make a game without a formal game engine. Though if you're planning on a bigger project, a large game, it is beneficial to have an underlying game engine architecture.

Quote:

just use directx
or if i had a good game engine can i use it to develope a full game without the need to deal directly with directx???!!!!!!

Like I said above, a game engine will give you a higher level interface, so you likely won't have to deal directly with the DirectX API.

Analogies sometimes make things easier to understand:

Think of your game as being a table that you wish to create.

The tools such as chisels and hammers are your compilers and IDEs.

A table is comprised of several vital components (although some simpler tables require less parts - as do games).

You could theoretically take a tree and with a great deal of time and effort create the parts needed to build your table.

The other alternative is to purchase/obtain the table parts premade, and with a smaller amount of effort integrate them into your final piece.

You can think of a game engine as being all of the parts that you need to create a finished product. Not using a game engine can be seen as taking the raw materials (eg Direct3D, OGL) and from them creating the pieces yourself. You will always find yourself making a game engine of sorts - the only difference being how flexible and reusable that engine is for other products you might wish to build afterwards.

This analogy also works in the fact that from a tree you can build almost anything - just as with D3D/OGL you could create virtually any 3D application. An engine is slightly reducing the possible outcomes depending on the engine you choose and its functionality/extensibility.

thanx guys very much and i will ask u beside another thing

if it is better for a limited time to use a game engine what is the best
game engine u se that it is good and easy

we are in a designing and preperation process of designing a game
and this game has a simple idea wich is to make a race with different cars throw a network
if u can help me abt decideing what best game engine to use
i will be gratefull
thanx

Quote:
Original post by Source
Analogies sometimes make things easier to understand:

Think of your game as being a table that you wish to create.

Cool analogy. Though I usually hear the one about how the game is a car, and the engine is the car engine. [smile]

If you're interested in making the actual game, you should definitely go for using a game engine. I'm also going to recommend OGRE.