• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
_sim

OpenGL SDL and OpenGL

This topic is 4789 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, I'm working on a very basic game engine and trying to get some rendering things down but I've run into some problems. I'm using a combo of SDL and OpenGL for the graphics and SDL_ttf for text, but things don't seem to be working properly. I'm guessing the main problem is that I don't fully understand graphics (SDL and OpenGL) and I'm just using code from the NeHe tutorials without understanding what exactly it's doing. For example, calls such as: SDL_GL_SwapBuffers(); SDL_Flip(screen); SDL_BlitSurface(textSurface, NULL, screen, &textLocation); I'm not too sure what they do. I have a semi-idea after doing some reading, but all defenitions involve the term itself. For example, SDL_Flip will be listed in the man pages as Flip the buffer. Or SDL_BlitSurface will be defined as blitting a surface. That really doesn't help me understand what exactly they are doing since I don't know what a "blit" is in the first place. Is there a glossary someone can point out that will help me understand some of the basics of the terminology and how it all works at a hardware/software level? My second question is regarding the problems I'm having. I'm trying to get SDL_ttf to work as well as OpenGL. When I have OpenGL working, the 2D SDL_ttf iterms will not work. I enable SDL in one of 3 ways and each gives a different result with how things will work:
mSurface = SDL_SetVideoMode(640, 480, 32, SDL_OPENGLBLIT | SDL_HWSURFACE | SDL_DOUBLEBUF );
mSurface = SDL_SetVideoMode(640, 480, 32, SDL_OPENGL | SDL_HWSURFACE | SDL_DOUBLEBUF );
mSurface = SDL_SetVideoMode(640, 480, 32, SDL_HWSURFACE | SDL_DOUBLEBUF );
The first one will allow me to call SDL_GL_SwapBuffers() and SDL_BlitSurface(textSurface, NULL, screen, &textLocation) and SDL_Flip but will only render only a white screen. The second will crash on my SDL_Flip() call in my Renderer. The Third will let me render my SDL_ttf and 2D stuff without any problems, but and OpenGL stuff obviously doesn't work. How do I make it so that I can get both my 2D SDL and 3D OpenGL stuff working at the same time so I can render my FPS counter and my cube at the same time? I know this is very basic stuff, but I'm having problems finding good resources that explain SDL/OpenGL combo for a total beginner. I guess I will also cross post this in the beginners forums as someone there might be able to offer advice on the overall SDL/OGL portion. Thanks! Sim

Advertisement

This topic is 4789 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.