need info

Started by
1 comment, last by jbadams 18 years, 6 months ago
Im a c5 quadriplegic I “CAN” move my arms but I “CANT”move my fingers and Im trying to play nascar 2006 on xbox I bought a speedster 3 steering wheel……. I “CAN” steer the wheel with my right arm but the big problem is with the gas and brake I “CANT” use the peddles my legs don’t work ……….and I cant push the button for gas and brake with my left hand because I mount the steering wheel on a table next to the right side of my wheelchair ………I sent the steering wheel to www.quadcontrols.com he made two buttons to replace the foot pedals by cutting the cable going to gas and brake pedals and wired in two buttons push one for gas one for brake I was going to steer with my right arm mount the buttons on the left arm of my wheelchair it didn’t work when I plugged it in and pushed the button for gas the tack just raced up to 9 thousand I called him he said the gas and brake is set up with a potentiometer meaning it gives gas slow then to fast like your gas peddle on your car………. is there any why in the world to wire in by cutting my cord to my speedster 3 wheel like he did so a joystick can be used for gas and brake………..I tried a joystick that hooked to my xbox u pushed for gas pulled for brake and clicked left and right to steer it didn’t work good for steering like a regular wheel does I really want to use my speedster 3 wheel to steer its more realistic but cant use the gas………400$ in games cant use it im mad……… 35 years old married but I feel like im 10 years old and want my game now
Advertisement
I can sympathize and relate to your situation, not on a personal level, but I do have very close friends that are permanently paralyzed. I would say that it is entirely possible to do what you want, it's just a matter of wiring things the right way. A joystick, even as basic as the old Atari gamesticks, sends a certain electrical signal one way or another given whatever position it is in, it's merely a matter of figuring out which way that current is flowing and along what wires and wiring it into your wheel's existing cables, which you would also need to discover what wires in the game wheel cover the gas and brake pedals. I'm no electrician, so I certainly can't tell you how to go about doing the wiring part, but I do know enough theory to tell you that it is entirely plausible.

Good luck,

Vopisk
Cross Post. I'll leave the other one open - please don't post in more than one forum.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement