• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gan

VB trick in WIN32

This topic is 4680 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone knows how to do this in win32 (hide the caption in the taskbar)?

Advertisement
Modifying the extended style of your window by adding WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW and removing WS_EX_APPWINDOW. In Win32 API you use GetWindowLong and SetWindowLong with GWL_style_EX. Remember to preserve the other styles!

Thanks, it works. But I just curios, it's stated in the MSDN that

Quote:
WS_EX_APPWINDOW
Forces a top-level window onto the taskbar when the window is visible.

should be enough and why I still need this?
Quote:
WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW
Creates a tool window; that is, a window intended to be used as a floating toolbar. A tool window has a title bar that is shorter than a normal title bar, and the window title is drawn using a smaller font. A tool window does not appear in the taskbar or in the dialog that appears when the user presses ALT+TAB.

Is there any overlapped?

WS_EX_APPWINDOW is used to force a window on the taskbar, even when it normally wouldn't be visible. A window can be shown on the taskbar without this style as well (if it is the main window of your app for example).
WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW is used to force the window to not be shown on the taskbar.

Basically WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW is what you really need to set, and removing WS_EX_APPWINDOW is just to make sure it isn't still forced onto the taskbar.

Endurion , thanks for your fast reply.

[Edited by - gan on October 25, 2005 4:06:22 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!