• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gamerking

These books are they good?

This topic is 4810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I've not read any of those books (sorry) but surely the following customer review on Amazon must tell you everything you need to know...?

Quote:
2 of 27 people found the following review helpful:

Hm... i never tried it, July 1, 1999
Reviewer: A reader
i never tried this book before. i hope it'll be good and since i'm a begginer, i think i'll buy it. might be good might not

Unbelievable.

On a more serious note, I have read other books by Andrew LaMothe. I'm undecided as to whether I can recommend them or not. On the one hand, a lot of people have got a lot out of them and when I was just beginning, I found some of it quite useful; but on the other hand, he seems to be positioning himself as "the" teaching games programming expert, which just isn't justified. I'd recommend Game Coding Complete by Mike McShaffry, instead - everything you need to know from someone who has worked in the industry for decades.

I have the 3rd one and as with all Andre's books its detailed and comprehensive but at times a bit quick to assume you've absorbed the information before moving onto more complex subjects. I prefer to get the basics down first before explaining something more complex and you could find yourself flipping back a lot to understand what he's doing after the initial chapters. Overall though I've liked all of Andre's books and learned a lot from them, he has a readable chatty style and assuming your not lost on the brevity of some things keeps you turning the pages.

if your a total newbie the amount of stuff in there might be a bit daunting but he does pretty much explain everything you need to know. All I would say is get yourself a basic grounding in C/C++ and maths for 3D first, it'll make a lot more sense and you should pick up a lot of useful tips. Again, this is in Andre's books but you may not get it the 1st couple of reads and that'll stop you getting the later stuff.

I do totally agree with the reccomendation for Games coding complete, but it won't really teach you coding or 3D skills, just make your coding a helluva lot better and more focused. If you can already code, great, otherwise the reccomended list as many good titles,

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!