• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
romainechester

How do I do this?

This topic is 4728 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I'm planning on writing my own sort of... I'm not sure if this is the right word for this? 'game engine.' What I want to do is sort of make a library where I could just call some methods instead when I'm making a game where I write a Sprite class over and over again. Hmm.. I've done the graphics part. I've written different classes and interfaces on 2d graphics(Sprites, AnimatedSprites, etc) which was very easy for me to do actually. I want to hear your opinions on this one guys. Again, I'm writing a 'game engine'-ish library in J2ME. Hmm.. what I want is some sort of a generic class 'Scene' where lets say when I call it, it executes a 'scene'. Could be a cutscene or menu or the actual gameplay itself. I dunno, is what I'm thinking doable or a good idea. Sorry if my post seem vague. I know english but my vocabulary is not that good.

Advertisement
Sounds good to me. That's exactly what we do (BREW and J2ME developers) The base scene class has methods such as start(), end(), processInput(), udpate(), render(), along with a reference to the engine.

This scheme works fine for implementing different menus/gameplay modes in a small game.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks. I'm not really sure though on how to do it.
Quote:
The base scene class has methods such as start(), end(), processInput(), udpate(), render()

I had that same idea in my mind but I'm not sure how to do it. Should I make it as a class or maybe as an interface first?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!