• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
reuomi

Effect shader: Bump mapping help

This topic is 4610 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It's very difficult to find walk throughs for a novice like me in useing bump mapping and other things like alpha blending (which i learned to do here) inside a effect shader file. Most advice i get is to "do it within the application" or somthing like that. But the may i'm writting my game it would just be much easyer to do as much in shading as posible. anyway my question. How do you Do Bump mapping inside a effecr file? (difficult to find in the documentation) thanks.

Advertisement
Hi there reuomi,
How are you doing?

The Problem
Bump mapping inside an effect file (shaders)

The Solution
You can follow this tutorial I wrote in the beginning of this year. The code on the bottom is in HLSL and you can use it in a effect file and just set the appropriate values, you might also want to compute the binormals, tangents and make sure your mesh has normals. I am working on getting the demo out quickly and will post it here as soon as it's done.

I hope this helps buddy.
Take care.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!