Sign in to follow this  

SqPlus(Squirrel) docs/examples/feature-list

This topic is 4480 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Everything I say here is based on the wiki at http://wiki.squirrel-lang.org/default.aspx/SquirrelWiki/SqPlus.html.

I might be wrong, but I'd say that you will miss out on alot of potential users if more documentation is not provided. Right now, it is a collection of code and several forum posts, but those do not add up to documentation for a beginner in Squirrel or scripting in general.

I am just starting to use Lua and LuaBind and would love to give Squirrel a fair chance (I printed the Squirrel language PDF out for pickup today), but there is no concise documentation for SqPlus that I can see. Since I am putting the binding library between the scripting language and the host language at the top of the list of things to consider, I'd say that documentation from you would be the biggest draw for me to use Squirrel. In fact, in the list of features, you list, "Easy to pass class instances between script and C++". That alone would make me consider SqPlus and Squirrel, but it is not clearly demonstrated in some section of documentation.

I have found documentation for LuaBind that has started me off and explained much and I am still having some difficulties (I started with it last night). Without that documentation that I do have, I wouldn't be able to get a program up and running using Lua so quickly, if at all, and I would go look at another language that has its documentation in order.

Quote:
Original post by CodeNow
Everything I say here is based on the wiki at http://wiki.squirrel-lang.org/default.aspx/SquirrelWiki/SqPlus.html.

I might be wrong, but I'd say that you will miss out on alot of potential users if more documentation is not provided. Right now, it is a collection of code and several forum posts, but those do not add up to documentation for a beginner in Squirrel or scripting in general.

I am just starting to use Lua and LuaBind and would love to give Squirrel a fair chance (I printed the Squirrel language PDF out for pickup today), but there is no concise documentation for SqPlus that I can see. Since I am putting the binding library between the scripting language and the host language at the top of the list of things to consider, I'd say that documentation from you would be the biggest draw for me to use Squirrel. In fact, in the list of features, you list, "Easy to pass class instances between script and C++". That alone would make me consider SqPlus and Squirrel, but it is not clearly demonstrated in some section of documentation.

I have found documentation for LuaBind that has started me off and explained much and I am still having some difficulties (I started with it last night). Without that documentation that I do have, I wouldn't be able to get a program up and running using Lua so quickly, if at all, and I would go look at another language that has its documentation in order.

Hi,

I have tried to implement your Box/Point example in Squirrel with SqPlus. SqPlus does not currently support writing to instances (perhaps the same issue with luabind); it can write to instance members. I will look into the issue later tonight (it may be possible to derefernce the instance pointers and copy the (entire instance) data, provided there are no side effects).

See this thread for passing instances to Squirrel: http://www.squirrel-lang.org/forums/349/ShowPost.aspx.

There is a boost- based binding system for Squirrel called squadd. It has all the pros/cons of luabind. SqPlus is much lighter/simpler, but will require extra work for binding in some cases.

I am using Squirrel and SqPlus as part of developing a game: I post updates and add more examples when I have the time. If someone wants to write docs and more examples, I'll be happy to answer any questions and provide any fixes (if possible in a reasonble amount of time).

John,

I definitely wouldn't be able to create a binding library the way you have done. I admire the work you have done. Unfortunately, for non-self starting newbies, like myself, there has to be more documentation. :)

As for my Lua issue, it's a pretty odd one. I haven't explored all avenues yet. It may work if I have Accessors and Mutators for the instance variables instead of accessing them directly since calling the constructor to set the property does indeed work. I'll post there once I have come to some conclusion, but I am surprised no one has chimed in on this one yet. It seems to be a basic issue that would pop up for anyone on their second day of using Lua.

I just found Squirrel, and I think that I finally find a ready to use OS script that has nice syntax.

I was in a problem latelly cause my game required the levels to be scripted, and I didn't like lua's syntax and I didn't like python's specially (depends on ident!).

It seems that squirrel is the perfect script language for me but I found the definition of bad luck, sourceforge.net just happens to be down.

I will check it out, if I like it I may end helping with documentation

[Edited by - Vexorian on October 11, 2005 4:55:29 PM]

Quote:
Original post by CodeNow
...Unfortunately, for non-self starting newbies, like myself, there has to be more documentation. :)

CodeNow,

I have updated SqPlus to handle instance assignment at any level. An example based on your questions/problem has been added to testSqPlus2.cpp and is shown here:

PointBoxWindowInstance example.

I forgot to rewmove that part of the comment, eventually sourceforge.net came back and I was able to download.

Squirrel seems to have enough documentation although the documentation for the scripting language itself is sometimes confusing.

Although I still have issues with some of squirrel's syntax (mostly the usage of :: before some function calls, and that you have to use the <- operator to assign new keys to tables) It has the best syntax among the 3 (python, lua and squirrel) IT seems I found what I was looking for

:: in front of the function is not mandatory. Just like in C++. Is just explicitly telling the compiler that the symbol is in the global scope. Again same behaviour/syntax as C++.

About the 'confusing' doc. If soumenone points me to the confusing part, I'll try to improve it.

ciao
Alberto

Sign in to follow this