• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
wyrzy

Rope Bridges

This topic is 4785 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was thinking of adding rope bridges to a platforming game I've been working on, but I'm not what way would be the best/fastest way to implement them. My initial thought was to use a mass-spring system. Does anyone second the thought, or is there a better or easier way to implement rope bridges? Also, does anyone know of a reference site that explains mass-spring physics in games? I've taken a semester of Calc-based physics (mainly dynamics which covered spring forces), but I don't always find it the easiest to apply my math/physics knowledge directly to programming.

Advertisement
Just a quick comment. Although Verlet integration isn't always the best choice in a physics simulation, in combination with 'stick' contraints it can give excellent results for ropes, cables, cloth, and the like with very little coding. Just imagining a side-view platform game, I can imagine Verlet+constraints being an excellent solution. You could make the bridge out of x number of particles, and then perform collision detection between the player and the segments connecting the particles. Based on this interaction, you could apply forces to the end particles of the appropriate segment, which would cause the bridge to bounce and react naturally. You would of course also apply collision response to the player to keep him or her on the bridge.

I'm no physics expert, so just take this as a suggestion. Also, I'm sure a mass-spring system could be made to work as well, but I think the Verlet system might be a little easier to get going.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!