• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Can I make a game with no programming?

This topic is 4484 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I find programming really annoying and it takes ages to set up. Is there a program that can create Mario style games, preferably with LAN mode, with no programming?

Advertisement
What do you mean, it takes ages to set up? It shouldn't take more than about an hour to set up your compiler. Also, why do you find programming annoying?

BTW you could try GameMaker. Be aware that it has limitations, though. You'd probably be better off in the long run just learning a programming language and writing your games that way. I don't think GameMaker can do networking, but I could be wrong.

The most flexible method is pay someone else to do it for you. That's what all the top companies use.

There will *always* be programming (rather it be in scripts or code), but if you wanted something that was very light on that side, take a look at Multimedia Fusion as well as The Games Factory. I've had MMF for a long time now, I haven't used it in ages, but when I did, I loved it, it was really easy. Definitly take a look at the demo, I don't know how it is now, I have such an old version (perhaps version 1.0 lol).

Well, I can't say don't program. That would be the last resort. Never quit. What language exactly are you using? || what do you want to use.(TRANSLATION: Or what do you want to use). Are you using C++? Is it your first language? Try BASIC or Python first. I never have done Python, but it seems to me to be a good language. Pygame helps make the games if I understand right. I hope that helps. ;)

I've always thought that that's the hole point of becomming a programmer - not being one keep's you out of the industry, which game designers, or people who make great games, don't know c++ to an expert level?

Lacking the skill to actually make the game means no matter how good your idea's (almost 'everyone' has idea's) mean's you'll be kept out. That's what I'm thinking.

I agree. But do what you feel like doing. Although, if you don't learn to program in any language whatsoever, then don't say you are a programmer. Because if you can't make hello world in anything weather it be BASIC, Pascal, C++, or whatever else- you aren't a programmer. Just please, my suggesstion is, learn at least BASIC. Or Python, once again. I don't want to make this sound like I am insulting or whatever this post may seem to be, but I am just being honest. If you can't program a program, you aren't a programmer. Just please learn 1 language. If ya don't like it... then you don't like it. UNless, you can already program. You probably can. But anything you learn, there is no point in learning it, if you just never program with it.

If better free libraries existed, and if tying them together wasn't so much trouble, then you could get away with very little programming and write a game that was like what you imagine. I had a friend that for the longest time would simply not do "that typing crap" and his games on KlikAndPlay and Multimedia Fusion all kind of sucked. You really need the power that a real programming language provides in order to tell the computer how to do things that someone else hasn't though of yet. What I could do with concise code, he had to do with using many timers as counters and using some timer values as switches to turn events on and off. It was way more ugly than just writing the darned thing. However, I do agree with you, most compilers are a pain to set up, 3rd party libraries can be confusing for a newbie to figure out how to set up, and most of the core game code stuff like collisions/networking are either nonexistant or difficult to understand. I'm working on a 2D physics engine, AKA a 2D Havoc or something like that, and there is a library called Clanlib which kicks major butt, but even with those, a game is hardly plug this to that and insert game code *wham* a game.

http://www.clanlib.org
http://ptymn.hopto.org/dev/toybox%20v0.1.1.zip

:-\ Wait around til christmas and at least my 2D physics engine should be usable at that point. Then you could easily make a 2D game without networking...

I agree with Ptymn. Everything he said I agree with. I have used Game Maker before. Before I even knew what C++, BASIC or any of this really was. Back in the summer of '04. I thought programming was much different back then. I couldn't do much. LIke my game where you clicked on bears and ghosts. Whoo! Thatt game sucked! You can make some good things with Liberty BASIC. http://libertybasic.com Although, I keep forgetting you don't like programming. Think of it like this: You can almost play God. That always gets me pumped, thinking about creating my own little world. Happy thought.

Someone who wants to make games without learning programming, to me, is like someone who wants to be on TV but not be an actor. Sure there are some game makers, just like there are reality shows, but you are heavily restricted to whatever was programmed for you. I honestly feel you wont be able to do much with the answers you are seeking, and I cant imagine a form of "lan play" that could be done without doing the code yourself. Games are complicated pieces of software and they take time and work to finish.

Quote:
Original post by Necrosis
Someone who wants to make games without learning programming, to me, is like someone who wants to be on TV but not be an actor. Sure there are some game makers, just like there are reality shows, but you are heavily restricted to whatever was programmed for you. I honestly feel you wont be able to do much with the answers you are seeking, and I cant imagine a form of "lan play" that could be done without doing the code yourself. Games are complicated pieces of software and they take time and work to finish.

I agree. It is like entering the NBA draft and not knowing how to play basketball. You will understand it eventually. I don't think Classes(OOP) are fun, but I don't quit trying to learn them. Think of all the good things you will be able to do once you understand more. Ya know? Like I said, don't give up.

Exactly, I totally agree with the above two posts. I think it's more fact.

Okay, so I have to program...

Any suggestions on a good language for single player and LAN games?

EDIT: That is a free download off the Internet. I don't have any money.

I'm a newbie, much like yourself. I'm presently learning C#, because it offers a compromise between the exact power of C++ with some of the easier syntax of languages like Python. At least in my opinion anyway.

Here's the secret I picked up from my studies. Any language will work. It sounds like since you want to work on 2D games, Python would work wonders. It's probably the easiest programming language to pick up and work with. You get results fast, and PyGame really *is* a wonderful library for 2D game design.

Whatever you pick, don't give up, don't be discouraged, and we'll both be making rockin' games. :)

Peace. :)

Quote:
Original post by Blad3
...which game designers, or people who make great games, don't know c++ to an expert level?

Artists. Producers. Managers. Loads of designers. Some of them know a little bit about programming, some of them know a lot about languages that are no longer popular.

Quote:
Original post by Necrosis
Someone who wants to make games without learning programming, to me, is like someone who wants to be on TV but not be an actor.

Sportcaster? News anchor? Weatherman? Talk show host? VJ? News commentator? ESPN's Stat Boy? Journalist on Meet the Press? Public Access Television content creator?

Ah, the art of the Bad Analogy. Alive and well. [smile] (I have a BA in this stuff, so it's not your fault.)

Quote:
Original post by FordPrefect226
Where can I download Python and PyGames?

ActiveState's ActivePython distribution for Windows
PyGame Downloads

Note that using Python and PyGame won't automatically make writing a game, particularly a networked one, a walk in the park. The PyGame tutorials are virtually all out of date for anything non-trivial, and you'll need infrastructure like Phil's PyGame Utilities (which, though extremely useful, are painful to look at - holy bad graphical design, batman!).

Making games - especially making good games that aren't generic, cookie-cutter replicas of the bottom of the design barrel - isn't easy. You're going to have to work for it. You don't have to learn language X. You don't even have to program (you can get others to program for you if you're organized, articulative, persuasive and/or monied enough). But you do have to work hard.

Good luck. You're gonna need it.

i think i known what you are trying to ask, the answer is no. Creating games is the hardest field of programming i would say as it now utilises the whole of the computer.

this field is hard and only the skilled are in this proffession. Games developer jobs can be some of the highest paid positions around so you can bet ur bottom dollar that the people withnthese jobs are absolutly amazing at what they do

if games creation was easy EVERYONE would be doing it, its because its hard only a select few do it.

To be a programmer you need vast amounts of time and extremely strong will to want to do it.

on a harsh note, if you are underperforming at school or where ever id quit trying now as i personally was one of the average students and im finding it Totally uphill, nothing is quite so clear to me and it takes me weeks if not months to set anything up, and the disheartening fact is that the stuff i do doesnt do anything. Ive been programming for 2 years now and i really do fins it really really hard.

on a brighter note . . if you are willing to try and put the work in, you will get some things done, just dont expect to be john carmack by the end of the week (jc is the creator of doom)

Ah, that question somehow reminds me of the beginnings of my .. err..programming carreer.

Well, I thought the same way when I started with this, programming is annoying and you don't need it to do good games. Let me agree to the people here when I say: This is just not right.
Anyway, what I did was spending hour after hour with software like CnC, TGF, MMF (the whole Clickteam software after all). I learned a lot of basics in there until i sticked to GameMaker.
At this point i got to correct one of the previous statements saying GameMaker isn't able to do LAN games. Actually, it IS able to do, and since version 5 (currently 6.1 is the most recent) also it's very powerful with networking, so give it a try.
In GM i also learned scripting. GMscript's syntax is pretty similar to C, so it helped me a lot understanding the basics of it.

Now I'm doing C++ for about 4-5 years and I got really good in it (if I could say that of myself).
To come to a conclusion, I think I won't have ever learned C++ so good (or even learned it at all), without trying out all the previous game maker software mentioned above.
Personally, I never used Python or VB, but I heard many people started off with them, too. At last it's on you to decide where to start, but in the end you're best with learning the basic theory of game design and then a 'mighty' language like C/C++ (ok and C#.. but I really dislike it so it's a pain for me to just mention it^^). And once you've got the taste of OOp you will even forget about any other possibilities, believe me ;)

Regards,
Metabo

I say that no matter the language you choose, you have to start easy.

A platform game like Mario in LAN is not exactly the prefect first game project ever.

Start with something simple. My first game was the nth tic tac toe game ever made.

For easy languages I suggest Delphi (aka pascal), because it is easy at the start but later it allows to have most of the features c++ except templates, and it is not case sensitive what is a pain in the ass when you start

If you really find programming to be an annoyance, maybe game making isn't your thing, although you could be a good playability mastermind you can get away of the technical part of game design

[Edited by - Vexorian on October 10, 2005 8:13:07 AM]

Quote:
Original post by counterrabbit
Creating games is the hardest field of programming...

Maybe desktop programming, but not programming in general. In fact, creating games isn't really that hard; it's just tedious. Many people never finish their game projects because of the amount of sustained effort required to create a suitably large game, not because creating the individual components was like coding an RTOS.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:
Original post by counterrabbit
Creating games is the hardest field of programming...

Maybe desktop programming, but not programming in general. In fact, creating games isn't really that hard; it's just tedious. Many people never finish their game projects because of the amount of sustained effort required to create a suitably large game, not because creating the individual components was like coding an RTOS.

Yeah. Also when was the last time you heard somebody say "I'm gonna make the most 1337 operating system ever!!!!!!!!"

Thank god operating systems are more difficult to make than games else we would have 6000 operating systems worse than windows, it would be the apocallypse

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement