Can I make a game with no programming?

Started by
54 comments, last by Blad3 18 years, 6 months ago
I agree with Ptymn. Everything he said I agree with. I have used Game Maker before. Before I even knew what C++, BASIC or any of this really was. Back in the summer of '04. I thought programming was much different back then. I couldn't do much. LIke my game where you clicked on bears and ghosts. Whoo! Thatt game sucked! You can make some good things with Liberty BASIC. http://libertybasic.com Although, I keep forgetting you don't like programming. Think of it like this: You can almost play God. That always gets me pumped, thinking about creating my own little world. Happy thought.
cout<<"cout<<'' this is my siggy''";
Advertisement
Someone who wants to make games without learning programming, to me, is like someone who wants to be on TV but not be an actor. Sure there are some game makers, just like there are reality shows, but you are heavily restricted to whatever was programmed for you. I honestly feel you wont be able to do much with the answers you are seeking, and I cant imagine a form of "lan play" that could be done without doing the code yourself. Games are complicated pieces of software and they take time and work to finish.
Quote:Original post by Necrosis
Someone who wants to make games without learning programming, to me, is like someone who wants to be on TV but not be an actor. Sure there are some game makers, just like there are reality shows, but you are heavily restricted to whatever was programmed for you. I honestly feel you wont be able to do much with the answers you are seeking, and I cant imagine a form of "lan play" that could be done without doing the code yourself. Games are complicated pieces of software and they take time and work to finish.

I agree. It is like entering the NBA draft and not knowing how to play basketball. You will understand it eventually. I don't think Classes(OOP) are fun, but I don't quit trying to learn them. Think of all the good things you will be able to do once you understand more. Ya know? Like I said, don't give up.
cout<<"cout<<'' this is my siggy''";
Exactly, I totally agree with the above two posts. I think it's more fact.
Okay, so I have to program...

Any suggestions on a good language for single player and LAN games?

EDIT: That is a free download off the Internet. I don't have any money.
I'm a newbie, much like yourself. I'm presently learning C#, because it offers a compromise between the exact power of C++ with some of the easier syntax of languages like Python. At least in my opinion anyway.

Here's the secret I picked up from my studies. Any language will work. It sounds like since you want to work on 2D games, Python would work wonders. It's probably the easiest programming language to pick up and work with. You get results fast, and PyGame really *is* a wonderful library for 2D game design.

Whatever you pick, don't give up, don't be discouraged, and we'll both be making rockin' games. :)

Peace. :)
Dev-C++
C++ tutorials
When you're ready to move on to graphics

Python
Python game programming (basically a tutorial on Python and PyGame)

FreeBASIC
Where can I download Python and PyGames?
Quote:Original post by Blad3
...which game designers, or people who make great games, don't know c++ to an expert level?

Artists. Producers. Managers. Loads of designers. Some of them know a little bit about programming, some of them know a lot about languages that are no longer popular.

Quote:Original post by Necrosis
Someone who wants to make games without learning programming, to me, is like someone who wants to be on TV but not be an actor.

Sportcaster? News anchor? Weatherman? Talk show host? VJ? News commentator? ESPN's Stat Boy? Journalist on Meet the Press? Public Access Television content creator?

Ah, the art of the Bad Analogy. Alive and well. [smile] (I have a BA in this stuff, so it's not your fault.)

Quote:Original post by FordPrefect226
Where can I download Python and PyGames?

ActiveState's ActivePython distribution for Windows
PyGame Downloads

Note that using Python and PyGame won't automatically make writing a game, particularly a networked one, a walk in the park. The PyGame tutorials are virtually all out of date for anything non-trivial, and you'll need infrastructure like Phil's PyGame Utilities (which, though extremely useful, are painful to look at - holy bad graphical design, batman!).

Making games - especially making good games that aren't generic, cookie-cutter replicas of the bottom of the design barrel - isn't easy. You're going to have to work for it. You don't have to learn language X. You don't even have to program (you can get others to program for you if you're organized, articulative, persuasive and/or monied enough). But you do have to work hard.

Good luck. You're gonna need it.
i think i known what you are trying to ask, the answer is no. Creating games is the hardest field of programming i would say as it now utilises the whole of the computer.

this field is hard and only the skilled are in this proffession. Games developer jobs can be some of the highest paid positions around so you can bet ur bottom dollar that the people withnthese jobs are absolutly amazing at what they do

if games creation was easy EVERYONE would be doing it, its because its hard only a select few do it.

To be a programmer you need vast amounts of time and extremely strong will to want to do it.

on a harsh note, if you are underperforming at school or where ever id quit trying now as i personally was one of the average students and im finding it Totally uphill, nothing is quite so clear to me and it takes me weeks if not months to set anything up, and the disheartening fact is that the stuff i do doesnt do anything. Ive been programming for 2 years now and i really do fins it really really hard.

on a brighter note . . if you are willing to try and put the work in, you will get some things done, just dont expect to be john carmack by the end of the week (jc is the creator of doom)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement