• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MrJul

Render at a specific size / z plane problem

This topic is 4693 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently writing a small 2D game. I wrote a 2D engine with DirectX9, which works fair well. However, I want to be able to have some sprite rotate on their X axis, in some animations (card flipping). I set up my rendering to have a classic perspective left handed field of view, rendered on the middle of a render-target texture my sprite with the rotation effect. And then I render this texture on my 2D engine. Everything works well, except that I need to set my rotated sprite a specific size : the sprite without rotation should be centered on the texture, and have a projected size of 128x128 pixels. No problem, D3DXVec3Unproject does this for me ! I can then transform the unprojected vectors of my quad with my rotation. Here comes the problem : The unprojected vectors D3DXVec3Unproject returns have a z value mostly equals to the z-far plane of my projection matrix. After applying a rotation to them, I only see the lower part of the rotated quad. Logical, since the upper part is beyond the z-far plane. But I of course want the complete quad... I really don't think any solution to this problem, that's why I need your help ! The source code (doesn't come from my game, but from a separate little test I made, that's why the rendering is classically made on a 640x480 backbuffer, and not on a texture, but this doesn't change anything) :
// Projection
D3DXMATRIX matProj;
D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH(&matProj, D3DXToRadian(45.0f), 640.0f / 480.0f, 0.1f, 100.0f);
Dev->SetTransform(D3DTS_PROJECTION, &matProj);

// View
D3DXMATRIX matView;
D3DXMatrixIdentity(&matView);
Dev->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW, &matView);

// Vectors
D3DVIEWPORT9 Viewport;
D3DXVECTOR3 vUnproj[4];
D3DXVECTOR3 vProj[4];
vProj[0] = D3DXVECTOR3(256.0f, 176.0f, 1.0f);
vProj[1] = D3DXVECTOR3(384.0f, 176.0f, 1.0f);
vProj[2] = D3DXVECTOR3(256.0f, 304.0f, 1.0f);
vProj[3] = D3DXVECTOR3(384.0f, 304.0f, 1.0f);
Dev->GetViewport(&Viewport);
for (int i = 0; i < 4; ++i)
	D3DXVec3Unproject(&vUnproj, &vProj, &Viewport, &matProj, &matView, &matView); // unproject with identity matrix for world, that's why we have matView for world matrix
Vertex Quad[] = {
	{ vUnproj[0].x, vUnproj[0].y, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f },
	{ vUnproj[1].x, vUnproj[1].y, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f },
	{ vUnproj[2].x, vUnproj[2].y, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f },
	{ vUnproj[3].x, vUnproj[3].y, 0.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f }
};

// World
D3DXMATRIX matTrans, matRot, matWorld;
D3DXMatrixTranslation(&matTrans, 0.0f, 0.0f, vUnproj[0].z); // vUnproj[n].z is always the same, whatever n is - we cannot set this directly in Quad[] because rotation needs to be done before z-translation
D3DXMatrixRotationX(&matRot, D3DXToRadian(45.0f));
matWorld = matRot * matTrans;
Dev->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD, &matWorld);

// VertexBuffer
char* Verts;
VB->Lock(0, 4 * sizeof(Quad), (void**) &Verts, 0);
memcpy(Verts, Quad, sizeof(Quad));
VB->Unlock();

// Render
Dev->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, 0xFF000000, 1.0f, 0);
Dev->BeginScene();
Dev->SetTexture(0, Tex);
Dev->DrawPrimitive(D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP, 0, 2);
Dev->EndScene();
Dev->Present(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);

Thank you :)

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!