Question about NULL

Started by
14 comments, last by counterrabbit 18 years, 6 months ago
If NULL is defined as 0 would it be wrong to set pointers to 0 instead of NULL?
Advertisement
No:

#define NULL 0
char* tempPtr = NULL;

The line: char* tempPtr = NULL; is then char* tempPtr = 0; after the preprocessor substitues in 0 for NULL. The point of the define is to remap one symbol/expression into something else. In this case, NULL and 0 are the same thing.
Quote:Original post by FlyingDemon
If NULL is defined as 0 would it be wrong to set pointers to 0 instead of NULL?

It isn't necessarily *wrong* it's just the same thing.
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
No:

#define NULL 0
char* tempPtr = NULL;

The line: char* tempPtr = NULL; is then char* tempPtr = 0; after the preprocessor substitues in 0 for NULL. The point of the define is to remap one symbol/expression into something else. In this case, NULL and 0 are the same thing.

Actually in C, NULL is defined as :

#define NULL (void*)0

In c++ it's basically 0.
NULL is just absence of a value. I know that in Java, NULL is actually infact, absent of a value. In C/C++ you just have to settle with 0 really, although if the implementation changed (for whatever daft reason), you could just redefine NULL to be the real implementation of NULL.
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd
Ok. I was just woundering because everytime I needed to use NULL I had to include a header that defined it like stdlib or define it myself.
Ok. I was just woundering because everytime I needed to use NULL I had to include a header that defined it like stdlib or define it myself.

Well NULL is also just a convention to use, so don't include more header files just to get that. Are you using NULL for any reason in particular?
stddef.h is the standard header if you only need NULL (or size_t/ptrdiff_t/offsetof).

Additionally GCC checks for use of NULL in non-pointers contexts so it basically acts the same way as a (void *) 0 definition would in C, but with warnings instead of errors as the result of any abuse.

It's mostly a matter of style/taste however. So if you're uncomfortable with having to include it or just think 0 looks better then feel free to switch.
Personally I prefer to use NULL.
I'm only using NULL to set pointers to NULL after they no longer point to other things, and after de-allocating memory.
I still prefer Scott Meyer's* Templatized-Null-On-Crack™.

Enigma

*It may well not be his invention, but it was his book which introduced me to the concept.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement