• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
infernosnow

cannot convert parameter 2 from HRESULT

This topic is 4784 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

You can view the source code here: www.kryolinth.com/all2_1.rtf That's a Rich Text Document. Open in wordpad. IMPORTANT: all recently written code is in green, which greatly narrows down where the problems can possibly arise from. line 88: error C2664: 'MessageBoxA' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'HRESULT' to 'LPCSTR'. Convertion from integral type to pointer type requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast, or function-style cast. line 190: warning C4305 'return' : truncation from 'HRESULT' to 'bool' line 219: warning C4305 'return' : truncation from 'HRESULT' to 'bool' The line 88 error is within the InitGeometry function. I'm trying to learn DirectX and have thoroughly studied the code to create a window, initialize the Direct3D object and device, and source in a background image to display on screen. This next step in the code was to attempt to load a .x mesh and display it. I'm actually surprised I don't have more errors than this. And remember, all code dealing with loading the .x file, interpreting the mesh data, etc is in GREEN. thanks for any help

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by infernosnow
You can view the source code here:
www.kryolinth.com/all2_1.rtf
That's a Rich Text Document. Open in wordpad.

IMPORTANT: all recently written code is in green, which greatly narrows down where the problems can possibly arise from.

line 88: error C2664: 'MessageBoxA' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'HRESULT' to 'LPCSTR'. Convertion from integral type to pointer type requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast, or function-style cast.
line 190: warning C4305 'return' : truncation from 'HRESULT' to 'bool'
line 219: warning C4305 'return' : truncation from 'HRESULT' to 'bool'

The line 88 error is within the InitGeometry function.

I'm trying to learn DirectX and have thoroughly studied the code to create a window, initialize the Direct3D object and device, and source in a background image to display on screen. This next step in the code was to attempt to load a .x mesh and display it. I'm actually surprised I don't have more errors than this. And remember, all code dealing with loading the .x file, interpreting the mesh data, etc is in GREEN.

thanks for any help

HRESULT is typedef as a long, not a boolean. Most DirectX interface methods return this type and are used like this.

IDirect3DTexture9 pMyTexture = NULL ;
HRESULT hr = 0 ;

hr = D3DXCreateTexture( pMyDevice, pMyTexture ) ; // This is a real function but it's used incorrectly for simplicity.

if( FAILED(hr) )
MessageBox( NULL, "Cannot create texture!", "Title Here", MB_OK | MB_ICONERROR ) ;

pMyDevice->Release() ;

Also, if you do want to use the HRESULT in a message box, you can use the DXGetErrorString9 function as shown here. Make sure you include dxerr9.h and link dxerr9.lib.

-Jeff

gah... I've been trying to work with this for a while now and still can't get it. I just don't know DirectX well enough yet. This is really agravating me. I understand the basics of what's happening in the code and why, but I don't understand the specifics well enough.

Would any of you be so kind as to impliment your code directly into the rest of the code that I have and color it in red or some other color so I can study exactly what's going on? I tried to put it in myself, but I guess I just didn't do it right. I hate when I can't figure stuff out on my own.

see, the code you gave me is different than what I have... that's the problem maybe.

IDirect3DTexture9 pMyTexture = NULL ;
HRESULT hr = 0 ;

hr = D3DXCreateTexture( pMyDevice, pMyTexture ) ;

but I don't use IDirect3DTexture9 to define pMyTexture

my code uses D3DXMATERIAL* d3dxMaterials then sets it = to (D3DXMATERIAL*)pD3DXMtrlBuffer->GetBufferPointer();

which might as well be Chinese to me. I don't understand all that yet.

So I feel like if I use IDirect3DTexture9 pMyTexture = NULL ; then it will mess something up because there must be a reason my code uses D3DXMATERIAL*

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!