GUI for my needs

Started by
8 comments, last by Numsgil 18 years, 6 months ago
I'm working on an ALife simulator which I'm porting out of Visual Basic for performance reasons. I want the port to use OpenGL to render the graphics. It's an open source project, so I want to keep the number of libraries different programmers need to a minimum (Visual Basic was real nice that way). I want a GUI library (and preferably a GUI IDE for that library, ideally as easy for GUI development as VB) that's based in OpenGL or is okay to work with OpenGL that would give the same look as a well designed VB interface, and is cross platform. I've looked into Crazy Ed's GUI system, and it looks too stylized for my needs. I want the interface to look more professional, non-game-y. More like Photoshop and less like World of Warcraft. And the library should have as few dependancies as possible. The last thing I need is for potential coders to get frustrated from the number of dependancies they need to download. And preferably something that hides alot of the implementation from the coder. The other people with me on this ALife simulator have mixed feelings about moving from VB, and VB's ease of use is the primary concern. My needs are simple. There are only a few menues to navigate to set the settings before the program pretty much runs itself. I need things like buttons, notepages, radios, etc, so I don't need anything overpowered. Whatever I use needs to be free. Most GUI libraries I find have the same problem as Crazy Ed's. They look too much like a game GUI.
[size=2]Darwinbots - [size=2]Artificial life simulation
Advertisement
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=325963 check that out. I dont know if it's the style you like, but I'm sure you could modify it.
Still a bit too stylized for my needs, but thanks for the effort.
Quote:Original post by Numsgil
Still a bit too stylized for my needs, but thanks for the effort.

Everything is custom; from the color of the widgets to their shapes, it only takes few XML lines to make it fit your vision of things.
-shrugs-
I am writting one, but its far from done [sad], here is a really old demo, here is a really old snapshot of the code (if you need a current one, let me know).

If you like it, tell me exactly what controls you need, and I'll try and speed development.
I'll give that topic's GUI a real close look, see what it can do...

Kwizatz:

Hmm, a list of thigns I need... I think this covers it:

Panel
Button
Checkbox
Radio Buttons
Text Boxes (editable and not)
Listbox
Those text boxes with the arrows to the side (nice but not 100% necessary)
NoteBook Pages (that is, tabs).

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll go double check the program to see exactly what all controls it uses. Mostly its checkboxes, lists, radio groups, and text boxes, with panels and notebook pages for organization.

edit: oh, and textured buttons for some tool bar things. But that's almost an afterthought, since it piggybacks on regular buttons.
Panel
Button
Checkbox
Radio Buttons
Text Boxes (editable and not)
Listbox
Those text boxes with the arrows to the side (nice but not 100% necessary)
NoteBook Pages (that is, tabs).

All those are on my "must have" list, though I am not exactly sure what a "Panel" is.
Currently I have buttons, checkboxes, static frames and static text.
This would be collapsable panels I don't need collapsable panels for my needs, regular panels are fine, but they wouldn't hurt.
This would be collapsable panels I don't need collapsable panels for my needs, regular panels are fine, but they wouldn't hurt.

Oh, those are Static Frames in my GUI, they're already there, though they're not collapsable.
Good, good.

Like I said, not necessary, but wouldn't hurt. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement