Performance Timing

Started by
5 comments, last by Spoonbender 18 years, 6 months ago
About a year ago when i was trying to write game without any knowlege about the way C works, i used a performance timer that i got working (and wrote myself) ... posted below:
#include "timer.h"

LARGE_INTEGER timerLast;
LARGE_INTEGER timerThis;
LARGE_INTEGER timerFreq;
int timerReady = 0;

void TimerPrep(void)
{
	QueryPerformanceFrequency(&timerFreq);
	QueryPerformanceCounter(&timerThis);
	timerReady = 1;
}

LONGLONG TimerTick(void)
{
	if(timerReady == 0) {return 0;}
	// LAST = THIS so that THIS can be updated and the difference returned
	timerLast = timerThis;
	// Update THIS
	QueryPerformanceCounter(&timerThis);
	// Return the Difference
	return ((timerThis.QuadPart - timerLast.QuadPart) / timerFreq.QuadPart);
}
But i am battling to work with and display the LONGLONG used in this function and TBH i dont like this code because i'm continually having to mess around with it. Is there any very easy to use high resolution timing header available? I really need a high resolution timer without the fuss :-( Any input would be appreciated. Thanks :-)
__________Michael Dawson"IRC is just multiplayer notepad." - Reverend
Advertisement
This doesn't answer your question, but I've heard that QueryPerformanceCounter/QueryPerformanceFrequency shouldn't be used anymore (the timer frequency changes mid-program). I could easily be wrong on this, so I'd wait for someone else to confirm it.
Quote:Original post by Daniel Miller
This doesn't answer your question, but I've heard that QueryPerformanceCounter/QueryPerformanceFrequency shouldn't be used anymore (the timer frequency changes mid-program). I could easily be wrong on this, so I'd wait for someone else to confirm it.

The QueryPerformanceFrequency function retrieves the frequency of the high-resolution performance counter, if one exists. The frequency cannot change while the system is running.

This is mostly an issue with laptops, I believe. The processors can actually slow themselves down in order to conserve energy, but Windows queries the frequency once at startup and just remembers the value.

To the OP: I am unaware of anything that would help. I believe VC++ can automagically print LONGLONG values using cout, but I don't recall for sure. If not, create a string just like any other integer type. [hint: cout << x%10; x /=10...there are gotcha's, but that's a start]

CM
Quote:Original post by Conner McCloud

This is mostly an issue with laptops, I believe. The processors can actually slow themselves down in order to conserve energy, but Windows queries the frequency once at startup and just remembers the value.

To the OP: I am unaware of anything that would help. I believe VC++ can automagically print LONGLONG values using cout, but I don't recall for sure. If not, create a string just like any other integer type. [hint: cout << x%10; x /=10...there are gotcha's, but that's a start]

CM

'eh ... i dont use VC++ and its written in C, so printf is how its all being displayed.

A lot of people have games that use timers, does anyone wanna share exactly which one they used?

Thanks for you input you two :-)
Ok, so i found a solution. Casting the LONGLONG stored in the _LARGE_INTEGER's QuadPart (man, that sounds wierd) to a DOUBLE which is really just a 8 byte integer where the second 4 bytes allow for decimal precision, you can do the math and return a float :-) which is much easier to use than a LARGE_INTEGER :-)

Anyways, posted below is a simple example on how to get this beast rolling.

#include <stdio.h>#include <stdlib.h>#include <windows.h>LARGE_INTEGER timerLast;LARGE_INTEGER timerThis;LARGE_INTEGER timerFreq;int timerReady = 0;/* * * */void TimerPrep(void){	QueryPerformanceFrequency(&timerFreq);	QueryPerformanceCounter(&timerThis);	timerReady = 1;}/* * * */float TimerTick(void){	if(timerReady == 0) {return 0;}	// LAST = THIS so that THIS can be updated and the difference returned	timerLast = timerThis;	// Update THIS	QueryPerformanceCounter(&timerThis);	// Return the Difference	return (((double)timerThis.QuadPart - (double)timerLast.QuadPart) / (double)timerFreq.QuadPart);}/* * * */int main(int argc, char *argv[]){  float laa;  TimerPrep();  system("PAUSE");  laa = TimerTick();  printf("Took %f\n", laa);  //printf("%d %d", sizeof(int), sizeof(double));  system("PAUSE");  return 0;}

Comments or improvements on this are appreciated :-) Thanks.

Quote:Original post by Conner McCloud

So it's not an issue with laptops. :)
It's guaranteed not to change, *except* some motherboards have a bug that lets the QPC suddenly skip ahead by a large amount.
There's a MSDN article about it somewhere...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement