Maya Modeler

Started by
5 comments, last by hannibal84 18 years, 6 months ago
Hey guys, I'm wondering if maya is better for game modeling, I know 3dsmax has a lot of features, but maya seems a lot easier for me, what I actually mean is, does maya have a lot of model formats it could export to that are ideal? For example 3dsmax has .3ds and I've seen a couple tutorials on getting that into OpenGL, but does maya have any known ones? Thanks guys. (I found an ASE exporter but still wondering)
Advertisement
Using those programs is all about personal favor, my friend. Those programs are some big boys with the industry. I wouldn't choose the programs just for the export/import options, though. You can create scripts/plugins that lets you export/import your models just like you want it.

3ds Max got MaxScripts to get this job done and I don't know about Maya.
Some other note: If you create a game, you most likely create your own file-format, since you rather not want to have the data in you models files, you don't use anyway.

So I would recommer to make your decision based on the way you think is easy to model/animate/skin a character, etc.

I hope this enlightens the fog a bit.

Regards,

-Xeile
Maya has it's own scripting laguage called MEL. There is also an SDK (C++)availible so you can make your own plugins and integrate them into maya.

But shoosing an application is persoanl preference. There are downloadable versions of max (trial) and maya (personal edition with watermarks) that you can try and see shich suites you best.
I have training videos for maya modeling that I found around my house, and it seems a lot easier than 3dsmax, perhaps I'll start with maya and move on as needed. Yeah, I saw this tutorial http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1906.asp and it teaches you how to make them, which is really cool.
I used max for about 8 months, then used maya for about 2 days and was in awe at how intuitive it was. no insult to max users, but ild go with maya bar none. they have a great interface design. you can get some awsome maya video tutorials from www.3dbuzz.com or if you have the ut2004 editors choice edition, there is a bonus cd in there with tonns of video tutorials including some for maya. I highly recommend it from my own experience.
it doesn't matter which one u use they both require the sam thinking process. i like 3ds max because it stand out more as a tool game developement and yes i have tried both and their both easy to work with the only thing i hated about maya was the look and feel use max now. this based off how it looked to me. this is based off 3ds max 7 and maya unlimited 6. if i had money for a real computer then i would have both installed and in use. Something that i did notice in 3ds max is it intergation of directx. it allows for effect file saving and opening and it uses the shaders and one plus for designers but im sure maya have something similar and just about equal. look at the specs of each see if one is better equiped.
Bring more Pain
While I am a bit of a Max user, the good news is these debates won't last too much longer, since Autodesk is acquiring Alias. I read that they are going to focus on interfacing the two together, so you can easily port a project back and forth between them to utilize those features you like most about either.

On topic, I'm not familiar with the modelling format of Maya, but if the structure is as readily available as the 3ds format, I imagine it wouldn't be *too* much work to interpret the native format code usable with OpenGL or another graphics library. I guess the more important question is, what specific features are you looking to use from one modelling environment or the other?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement