Faking viewvision

Started by
15 comments, last by remigius 18 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
Quote:Original post by matches81
I don´t see a reason for the orthogonal projection and the additional perspective camera? Shouldn´t 2 perspective views suffice?

The idea for orthogonal views was based on the fact that from a single eye you don't get depth perception. Two eyes pointing in roughly the same direction (like ours) give you stereo vision such that you can discern depth.

yeah, sure.... but we don´t have anything like stereo view on a screen anyway? The way a perspective view appears on a screen is the way it would look with only one eye anyways. So no point in using orthogonal projection, because even with one eye you would still get a perspective view, not an orthogonal one.

Advertisement
The problem of wider field is that you have bigger picsels. This is not problem with computer screen, but in real animal life. Also you don't normally have 3d with computer. Also you have black spot in front of you if your eyes are in side. If images has done properly for wide angle camera, it is quite horrible to watch.
Quote:Original post by joltios
The problem of wider field is that you have bigger picsels. This is not problem with computer screen, but in real animal life. Also you don't normally have 3d with computer. Also you have black spot in front of you if your eyes are in side. If images has done properly for wide angle camera, it is quite horrible to watch.

I will leave the black spot away, I strife for realism and perfectionism... but I have to draw the line somewhere too, I don't think I will make some kind of effect that you can see your own nose if you are a human in my game (I got a quite big nose and I can see the tip of it when look in front of me). Yet when you are the lizard (with the eyes on the side), I will get some blurry effect in the middel of screen.

If I got something working, I will share it with this community. The faked view feature will be an triggerable option, you can switch back from 1e-person to 3th-person too and in 3th person you won't see the vision distortion effect anyway.

Thanks for all the input,

Thijs
Quote:Original post by matches81
but we don´t have anything like stereo view on a screen anyway?

We have! The nVidia GPU Programming Guide has a whole chaper about this.
They have a stereo driver, what you can find in the Drivers section. They recommend glasses like this: i-glasses, but you can use an ordinary red-blue glass too.

kp

------------------------------------------------------------Neo, the Matrix should be 16-byte aligned for better performance!
I made a quick study on the effect of tweaking the FOV parameter for the standard projection matrix. The following images all show exactly the same screen with different FOV angles.

Even with the 90 degrees fov the effect is noticable. When you look at the sails for example, these are parallel to eachother, but because of the wide angle the 'distorted' perspective is already there. With increasingly larger angles, this distortion becomes more and more prominent.

I don't know if this is the effect you are after, but the 164 degrees FOV gives a nice result without any extra code and only a small performance decrease. If you'd want accurately recreate the FOV for non-hunter animals, you'll probably have to use two camera's using the 164 degrees (or higher) FOV and render this on the left and right halves of the screen. From the 164 deg shot though, I'd say it's doable but probably quite queasiness inducing ;)
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Just a quick remark : the DirectX fovs are only HALF fovs. So when you wrote 45° on your screenshot, you were in fact using a 90° fov ^^
Thanks for the remark! Finally them frustrum pictures in those books are starting to make sense :)

Well, then I guess you're done with using Math.PI/1.1 for your perspective matrix for the basic effect. There's still depth/perspective in the shot, but it is so distorted it could very well pass for the non-hunter FOV.
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement