• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
silvia_steven_2000

ms3d key frames and local positions/rotations relative to what ?

This topic is 4699 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all please execuse me for the long question, I meant that to make things more clear: skeletal animation in ms3d file is based on transforming model vertices by a skeleton of joints. the absolute transform of a joint is the product of its relative transform with the absolute transform of its parent joint. I have no problem with the theory behind that. I was able to load the mesh. I was also able to animate the model but there is something wrong going on. in summary here is what I did: 1- I calculated the absolute transform for each joint assuming the provided translation and rotation in ech joint as its relative translation and rotation. 2- I used the inverse of the above transform and transformed all the vertices to make them ready for transformation in the animation function 3- in the animation function we need to calculate the new joint absolute transforms, this is done by interpolating the key translations and rotations. her is the confusion: I need to know relative to what these key translations and rotations are ? I tried to consider the interpolated translation and rotation as the current joint relative translation and rotation and based on that calculated the abs transform but this did not work. I tried to consider the joint initial rotation multiplied by the current interpolated rotation as the joint new relative rotation, similarly, I considered the joint initial translation added to the current interpolated translation as the new joint relative translation. this was able to animate the model but the animation was not 100% correct. I tried to use some test joints defined by me and was able to prove that the procedure I am using is correct so I am afraid I am not interpreting the keyframe informatin the right way. by the way, I was reading in the book focus on 3d models, the joint final transform is calculated as: no parent: (joint_local * joint_current_interpolation_matrix) if it has a parent: parent_matFinal * (joint_local * joint_current_interpolation_matrix) where joint_local is the joint initial relative transform I guess what I mentioned above is basically what the book mentioned I do not know what is going wrong ? any hints ? I passed by this on the web: // // Mesh Transformation: // // 0. Build the transformation matrices from the rotation and position // 1. Multiply the vertices by the inverse of local reference matrix (lmatrix0) // 2. then translate the result by (lmatrix0 * keyFramesTrans) // 3. then multiply the result by (lmatrix0 * keyFramesRot) // // For normals skip step 2. // // NOTE: this file format may change in future versions! // // - Mete Ciragan // in point 2, why the local matrix and not the absolute transform of the joint ? thanks allot

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!