• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

The number 0 and 1.

This topic is 4604 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to create anything on the computer by using binary codes, and if there is prease reply telling me how. Ps. Tell me if you can't.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Ummmm ok. I'll guess what you ask for since your question is rather ambigious.

As you are probably aware at machine level data consists of binary bits. Program machine code that is run by a CPU also consists of such data, so sure, if you have a method of modifying the machinecode for any device you actually modify these bits indirectly even if you don't read them as such.

On the other hand if you want to see the binary codes directly, you can also let a program display them, and let you edit merely by typing it in (then again, hexadecimal and decimal displays are more common). But, why the hell would you want to do that with modern compilers/interpreters available? The sheer complexity of that makes even assembly language much more easy.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yes it is possible but you really don't want to, trust me. But since you asked http://www.dangermouse.net/esoteric/bit.html

Thx for the info guys. But how do people make those big programs not in size,but like popular. Such as the programs that compile C++ how did people make those.

Quote:
Original post by its_matt
Such as the programs that compile C++ how did people make those.

Typically, with another C++ compiler. Or a compiler for another language, like C or FORTRAN. Which might be written using an assembler, which might indeed be hand-coded in binary. The precise codes to use depend on the CPU you're targetting.

Quote:
Original post by supercoder74
[...] then I think B(the language before C) was the first language after assembly.

Nope - it was FORTRAN (1957), followed by LISP (1958) and COBOL (~1959).
B appeared around 1969 - at about the same time as Wirth's Pascal.

Quote:
I am pretty sure that the first assemblers were coded in binary, then I think B(the language before C) was the first language after assembly.

Not true. According to Wikipedia B was developed at Bell Labs around 1969.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_programming_language
First compilers and programming languages were developed in the 1950s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiler
FORTRAN and COBOL were two of the earliest languages.

As people stated before it is possible to code in binary, but if you want to go that low-level I recommend using assembly instead since it is basically binary with numeric instruction replaced by words. There are a little more to it, but not that much.

And about the first language:

Quote:
Original post by darookie
Quote:
[...] then I think B(the language before C) was the first language after assembly.

Quote:

According to wikipedia Plankalkül might have been created before, but weren't published because of WW2.

EDIT: I found a timeline for programming languages here.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!