• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TheOddMan

Physics Research

This topic is 4752 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone know any good books on high level physics? Not necessarily looking for programming books, though it may help. I'm particularly interested in momentum, pressure and energy transfer. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
How high level?

To some that's "High school".
To some that's "Undergrad".
To some that's "Graduate".
To some that's "Post-Doc".

Is there a particular scale you're looking at?
Nano?
Meso?
Macro?
Astronomic?

Yeah... I'm just a wise-*** AP, but I am somewhat serious, just want to know what recommendations to make.

*OddMan,

Because you chose to mention pressure and energy transfer, I'm having the feeling you are interested in fluids? I'm also assuming that you're interested in computational techniques, not necessarily pure theory? If so, then I can recommend the following. Be warned. These are indeed high level (though not particularly specialized).

C. Hirsch, "Numerical Computation of Internal and External Flows," Volumes 1 and 2, John Wiley & Sons

Tannehill, Anderson, and Pletcher, "Computational Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer," Taylor & Francis Group.

The second book is actually a damned fine introduction to numerical integration of PDE's in general, highly recommended as long as you're not a novice, e.g., you gotta know what a PDE is and have studied the Calculus.

Yeah, I prolly should have been a little clearer. By high-Level I mean around graduate level. I'm looking at a real world scale(i.e. simulation of the world around us - bouncing balls, projectiles etc.).

I'm looking into simulating objects that damage (i.e. dent and break) realistically and I figure I could use some advanced physics to do this.

Also thanks for the recommendations though I'm more interested in solid objects than fluids. I'll check those books out and see if I can find anything useful in them.

If you don't mind preprocessing the desired effect and later on apply it using some sort of morphing technique, I would definitely look into some publications by James O'Brien:
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~job/Papers/

If a real time performance is a must, you can perform Modal Analysis of you mesh as a preprocessing step and later on make small deformations as you go.
One big problem with that approach is that regular Modal Analysis, requires linearization of the acting inner forces. This can lead to very unrealistic artifacts when deformations are "big". If that becomes an issue, you can turn to something more advanced like Modal Warping.

BTW, is this the same question as the one that you were asking in the graphics forum?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!