Sign in to follow this  

Deformable meshes

This topic is 4481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hmm, nope, sorry.
But I can tell you how I think it can be done :

- cheap way : have a few version of your model (or the part of the model) in a good state, and in a deformed state (before and after a car crash, for instance ^^) and then, switch model. That works fine as long as you don't have low-motion during the event ^^

- more sophisticated : morph target. Like in the previous method, have a few versions of each part of the model, and this time, instead of interverting each parts, do a morphing between them.

So, maybe a googling with "3D real time morph" will help you a bit more than me ^^

What exactly are you planing to do with those deformable meshes?

You might get a better answer if you describe what you are trying to do.

look up "free form deformation" and the more advanced "surface oriented free form deformation".

in it's basic sense, it basically creates a bezier space around the model and the model is then re-expressed in terms of the s, t, w's in this bezier space. now by modifying control points in the space, we can obtain some nifty deformations. the surface oriented approach is more advanced but has the very usefull property that the effects it produce are localized. you could hypothetically create more localized effects with the bezier space by increasing it's order. or subdividing space into multiple piece wize bezier spaces, but this would have to be done carefully, as to avoid discontinuous artifacts.

here is a link to the original presentation of the more advacnced of the two. surface oriented

http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/%7Ekaran/pdf/wrap.pdf

tim

Thanks for that guys, I'll look at those links now. To answer ury's question I'm trying to create a small engine that will allow for object to dent/break realistically based on how an object is hit. I'm looking into deformable meshes as I think this may allow me to dent objects realistically.

Sign in to follow this