• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cignox1

free mathematical application

This topic is 4640 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I hope this is the right thread for such a question. I need a (free) application to play a bit with polynomials, algebra, interpolation, because I need to study these topics (numerical analysis course) but I don't know how, for example, try to calculate the Lagrange interpolation polynomial for some points and so on (I hope you understand it better than I explain it). Thank you!

Advertisement
If you're at a university, check to see if the math department has a site license for Maple or Mathematica. They're expensive commercial applications, but they're also the best ones out there and if your school has a license then you might be able to get them for free, or at least really really cheap. Otherwise, I can't think of anything that's free, let alone good.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I can vouch for maple :) Although I didn't think too much of the documentation.

If your really stuck, there is always gnuplot ;)

-- Steven Ashley

I think Octave will suit your needs perfectly. You may want also some extra toolboxes. (Octave is very similar to Matlab).

For symbolic math I recommend Maxima (I think you could say Maxima is similar to Maple).

And because all these are commandline tools you probably want to have a nice GUI. There are several for both of these, but one of the best is Texmacs (look at the screenshots!). Texmacs is actually an wysiwyg scientific editor with built-in programminglanguage (similar to LaTeX) and it can be used as a gui for many backends such as Maple, Matlab, Octave, Maxima, Python, and so on... And on top of this it has _the_ best typesetting I have ever seen on free software.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!