• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
C J W

Iterating through all the files in a folder

This topic is 4666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Are there functions provided by the WinAPI which allow me to iterate through all the files in a given folder. All I need is the filename of each file.

Advertisement
A totaly unrelated question, but what is a reasonable size for a function, I have a function which is around 700 lines and is looking rather large. However in this function there is very little code repeated more than once, should I split this function up, or keep it the way it is?

EDIT: The code is also very unlikely to be repeated anywhere else in the program.

700 lines of code? That's a bit... big. Try to divide it up for easier readability and maintenance and error-checking.

If there's display stuff and loading files and stuff in one, divide it up:
DisplayListofFiles()
LoadInList()
LoadInFile()
DoSomeStuff()
etc...

I normally have about 20-100 lines per function, unless it's one of the important functions (Game_Play(), MapEditor(), etc)

Edit: Beaten to it by one second!

Heh thanks, the actual function in question is not related to the file lists inside folders, but thanks anyway. I just like to have an idea what kind of size a regular function is.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!