Writing Competition Round 3

Started by
27 comments, last by Fournicolas 18 years, 5 months ago
The purpose of this round is to write a plot sketch. A plot sketch is a document that outlines the plot of piece of writing. In this case it should start after the introduction and continue all the way to the end of story and it must contain the character Airre Running in Flowers.

There are a number of different styles for writing a plot sketch the one I use consist of short paragraph where I describe what happens in the various scenes. Don’t go into details about setting, and characters within your plot sketch as those would be described else where. A simple cast list with a sentence or two describing each character at the start of the document is sufficient and another sentence or two describing any important settings when they are introduced. Settings descriptions are placed in brackets and italics for ease of identification in the style I use.

An example of plot sketch for the start of the matrix might look like this:

A woman sits alone in a room talking on a phone about how she has been watching someone when she hears foots step approaching. Outside the building two agents arrive and begin to reprimand the police officer in charge of the situation. Back inside group of police offers storm the room where the woman is sitting and before they can react she kills them with an exhibition of deadly martial arts and super human speed. A high speed chase ensues as the agents purse the woman each demonstrating super human abilities. The woman finally arrives at a phone booth and vanishes just as an agent smashes into the booth with a truck.

You don’t have to be nearly that detailed about each scene for one thing you will soon go over the word limit and secondly it is usually not necessary. Since the purpose of this style of plot sketch is just to give an overview of each scene in the story. The details would all be filled in later.

Another example of scene sketch would be:

Neo is finally taken to see the mysterious Morphous who he has been searching for. There in an abandoned building Morphous offers Neo a choice, take a red pill and follow him or take a blue and go back to is ordinary life. Neo chooses the red one.

This round is about writing a plot sketch so if I asked you to write a plot sketch for the matrix I would expect a document containing scene overviews for the entire film similar to the two sample ones. This is of course only one example of how to write a plot sketch. Sunandshadow as a thread called plotting that might be helpful to people and contains other styles.

If you want to know I how go about writing a plot sketch. What I do is, I start by writing down ideas I have for different scenes. Then I put them in chronological order and start adding new scenes in and around the existing ones. Each time I connect more and more scenes together until I have a completed plot. If I don’t like what I have then I start rework parts adding more details or changing and removing transition scenes. In this way I effectively build up the plot around what I feel are the interesting scenes. They might not even be the most important scenes in the story in fact some could entirely trivial but still ones that I want to include

Hope that helps clear up a few things.
Advertisement
Thanks for the description; that wasn't what I was initially thinking of, so I'd have gone off on a complete tangent from what was expected.

Quote:Original post by TechnoGoth
The purpose of this round is to write a plot sketch. A plot sketch is a document that outlines the plot of piece of writing. In this case it should start after the introduction and continue all the way to the end of story and it must contain the character Airre Running in Flowers.

So the plot sketch would be analogous to a short summary you might include at the beginning of a script to give an overview of the entire story? That seems to make sense. So what is required here is a summary of the entire plot of our barbarian game from beginning to end, with the climactic scene occuring at Anakara of the fourth veil (whatever we decide to make that). That seems tricky, to say the least! We'll also probably need quite a few more charactrs than just Airre Running In Flowers, I'd think.
Do the entries need to answer all questions listed in the end of R2E7?
Quote:Original post by Estok
Do the entries need to answer all questions listed in the end of R2E7?

No, but you should at least introduce some of those questions into the plot. I won't require that they all be introduced and answered.
What are the must-have's from R1E5 and R2E7?
Quote:Original post by Estok
What are the must-have's from R1E5 and R2E7?

The plot sketch must start immediately after the intro from round 1, and the character as described in the character profile from round two must also be included. You should also introduce at least some if not all the questions at the end of round 2 entry.

Well I think most people would agree that they would like to have additonal judges judging the entries. And so, I have managed to convince sunandshadow to be a guest judge in this round. That means that both she and I will judging the entries and that the final scores will be an average of the two. So good luck and happy writting.
Well, I'm getting a bit worried round 3 is nearly over and so far there have been no entries. Do people need more time? Do they have questions or problems? Is the round to difficult? Would they prefer that I wrote about a little page or two on a design for the game and then the writers could focus closer on writing just the plot for the game?
Well, I have been kind of busy and so I was unable to submit an entry for this round.
Well, no entered this round. So that means there are two options.
1)Extend the deadline by another week to see if anyone enters.
2)Cancel round 3 and start round 4.

If we go with the 2nd option then I'll write up a little plot sketch to be used for the remainder of the competition.

One thing I'm curious about is of the people who enter the first two rounds or planned to enter why didn't you enter round 3?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement