• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Is the .X format applicable for commercial games?

This topic is 4518 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Nah, not if it does what you need it to do.

Quote:
Original post by Normot
Is there any reason not to use .x files for a commercial game?

I think once you try to do animation though, you will quickly realize X's limitations and downfalls [wink]

Normot, I really think that if .x files suites your puposes that you should use it. It's all about using what you can and what works. .x files are fantastic for some games and really has it's limitations for others. If you are using it and feel it works for you.. it's fine.

I hope this helps.

It will work for commercial games. Both .X and .bsp still must be loaded to a mesh. Animation, is perfectly simple with the right converters.

Your application is completely ignorant of the file format.

This idea of .X being slower is complete nonsense.

Many companies use .X files as an intermediate format during development since it's well understood and tools already exist to export, view and manipulate .X files.

Usually games don't ship with .X files though, instead preferring a proprietary format (common reasons being: aids data protection/copyright, stripped to the bare minimum [less to load], and optimised for the access pattern the game will be using [quicker to load])

Quote:
Original post by circlesoft
Quote:
Original post by Normot

I think once you try to do animation though, you will quickly realize X's limitations and downfalls [wink]

Speaking of X's limitations and downfalls, when is DirectMesh2 coming out? I could really use the morph target functionallity now, preferable yesterday :)

Quote:
Original post by remigius
Quote:
Original post by circlesoft
Quote:
Original post by Normot

Speaking of X's limitations and downfalls, when is DirectMesh2 coming out? I could really use the morph target functionallity now, preferable yesterday :)

Sorry man, the DM2 project got derailed a while ago (probably 9 months). I posted an entry in my dev log about it, but it may have been deleted when I switched hosts. Anyways...the project got some attention from some commercial middleware companies, and I got a job with one of them. One of the caveats was I had to terminate the project.

I made sure that the Spec could still stay up, though. This was really the hardest part of the project...[wink]

Thanks guys. I was just making sure there where no license issues I had to worry about or anything.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement