discs

Started by
5 comments, last by enjoi5o50 18 years, 6 months ago
what is the biggest kind of disc that you can dowload a game onto?
-Enjoi"Pratice is proggesion, not perfection."
Advertisement
A game doesn't differ from any other program in this aspect - you can fill an entire harddrive with one game if you want, but it's not very practical.

In practice, you could use several dvd discs if your game content really needs so much storage space. However, most commercial games nowadays fit just well on a single dvd or a cd.

Niko Suni

Quote:Original post by enjoi5o50
what is the biggest kind of disc that you can dowload a game onto?

You should probably restate your question as "What is the best media to use for distribution", which will likely be: the Internet, a CD, or a DVD. Floppy disks are becomming rarer in new computers, which is something I never thought I'd see. If you think you'll have more than 4GB of data, I'd shy away from dual-layer DVD since many DVD drives don't have great support for it, and go with multiple DVDs. Doom 3 was only 1 DVD, so unless you have some really massive worlds, I doubt you actually need more than that.

Of course, if you really meant the physical size, the Laserdisc was about 30cm (about a foot) in diameter. I don't know of anything bigger than that as a 'disc'.
to frob:

how much memory can a blu-ray disc hold?
Quote:Original post by enjoi5o50
to frob:

how much memory can a blu-ray disc hold?

According to Wikipedia's article, "A single-layer Blu-ray disc (BD) can fit 23.3, 25, or 27 GB"

But if you are relying on either Blu-ray or HD-DVD for distribution, you won't have a very big audience.

thanks. and im not really selling my game(s). unless i end up working with a game development company.
i thought i`d add that they are researching and probaly coming out with a new blu-ray disc that can hold 100 or 200 GB.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement