• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

cost with game development

This topic is 4485 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to gather some information on the average costs of developing for portable games. Does anyone have any information on this or a place where I could go to get this? Here are the questions I need answered: 1. What is the average development cost of a GBA, NDS & PSP title 2. Which platform is the best to develop for? 3. What kind of support does Nintendo give you? Sony? 4. Any information on business models concerning game development for handheld games? Thank you all for your input, Mbg

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by mbg150
1. What is the average development cost of a GBA, NDS & PSP title

It is more or less: equipment + development time * (workers * salary_and_expenses + facility costs)

If it is two or three people pumping out one game a month (a la PopCap Framework), that's a few thousand per game. A professional GBA or PSP title is going to take a lot more than a month, and probably a team of 8-10 plus testers.
Quote:
2. Which platform is the best to develop for?

This is subjective. If you have a contract, you use the platform you are told. If you are doing it for a hobby, decide for yourself.
Quote:
3. What kind of support does Nintendo give you? Sony?
You get documentation and devkits. Don't expect any hand-holding from the company. Also, you need to show them that you are competent and have an actual chance of publishing before they will even give you that.
Quote:
4. Any information on business models concerning game development for handheld games?

Every business is different. What works for one group might be awful for another. I recommend against the "Ask the publishers for any available work and take the first thing that comes along" model, since it tends to stress out development teams and not give the funding that small projects need.

frob.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement