• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

New Virtual Aquarium - a call for beta testers

This topic is 4563 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, i'm a former Visual Effects artist and programmer, and i'm developing a virtual aquarium. I would appreciate if people could take it for a spin to assess compatability on different hardware (especially low-end and integrated 3D graphics). it's fully-functioning and doesn't expire. Here's a still: you can download it at www.dreamaquarium.com/download.html i'm mostly interested in machines that have problems running it (run slowly or crashes). i've had the odd crash on integrated graphics machines but i think it's because of bad openGL. it would be helpful if you run "Report an Error" from the start menu if you experience a problem. thank you! alan [Edited by - spiralmonkey on October 10, 2005 9:07:45 PM]

Advertisement
This is really freaking cool. Do the fish die if I dont feed them?
So far it runs well for me on my 2400+ and geforce4

yeah, i've barely begun on the behavior at this point. right now they all travel at a constant velocity and you're right - they never slow down or stop and look around. i'll do this when i'm confident in the stability of the graphics. thanks for the input!

It doesn't seem to be very happy about me adding an absolute ton of little fishies. If I do this then food doesn't show up when i select add food and the red circle to denote which fish to delete doesn't show up until after I've deleted a bunch of them.

[Edited by - xanin on October 12, 2005 12:02:19 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
one more thing: the position of the food doesn't appear to be affected by the agitation/motion of the fish.

i'm probably digging too deep :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ran fine on:

GeForce 4 5200 MX (128MB), P4 3Ghz 1Gig
GeForce 3, P4 1.7GHz 256Meg
Dell laptop GeForce 2, P4 1.7Ghz 256Meg

But on a laptop GeForce 4 5200 MX Go(64MB), 3Ghz 1Gig it works fine with 1 monitor but supporting two monitors - rendering on one, it slows to a frame per few seconds. Even reducing resolution down from 1 monitor 1920x1200 (runs fast) to 2 monitors (without clone/mirror options) at 800x600 each dramatically slows it.

Clone/Mirror options gives a blank screen (probably rendering first frame very slowly) on the GeForce 4 MX 128MB and on the GeForce 4 MX Go 64MB renders only on one screen, clone very slowly, mirror much the same as dual monitor without clone options. The above with few fish - down to 1 fish in one test with no real differences in the dramatic slowdown occuring.

I had the similar issue of missing images in the 'Add Fish' menu (all three fish icons were missing) after I'd added lots of fish and went back to the Add Fish menu.

Apart from the dual-monitor issues - it was lovely! I really liked it.

Some ideas I had for the future are:

occasional chasing behaviour.
occasional fish peck-feeding on the bottom of the tank.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement