• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
linuxgyro

starting opengl programming

This topic is 4661 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a compiler that you download and its ready to use? I run linux but this is too difficult "copy the th2987.dll to the lib folder..." and it doesnt even work. Actually im doing thhis in win2k. i am trying to write a game and all, but i cant even get started. i even thought about downloading a program that you just point and click, but i acnnot get it started and its pretty bad what the samples that come with it either lag or are super choppy. so i want to make my own game. i have dev-cpp and an old version of borland. i also tryed doing up sdl and directx, but i cant beyond the initalizing of the program before it comes up with 20 or more errors, and those are copy and paste. anyone know a good c++ compiler that has support dor directx, opengl, or sdl. and dont say glut, unless that sucker is as a .exe file and installs a real program that i dont have to compile.

Advertisement
If you are running Linux, the c++ compiler you use is called gcc. It is already installed, and you can run from the konsole if you want. Just type in your konsole gcc -v, and it will tell you the current version you are using. You can install the latest version at http://gcc.gnu.org/ .

Current versions of linux all have a programming environment too, but you can also download front end gui environments for whichever desktop you use.

As far as OpenGL, start by learning how to program X in linux using gcc. Then look into OpenGL tutorials. OpenGL libraries such as GlExt are there to make OpenGL programming easier, although you can do all the same from programming OpenGL without having a 3rd party lib.

Regarding your second question of errors caused by compilation, chances are you do not have the DX libraries linked. DirectX libraries for Borland in Windows are hard to find. You can also program in Windows by getting the Microsoft Free compiler, but it would be well worth your time to get Microsoft Visual Studio.

[Edited by - RhoneRanger on October 10, 2005 10:34:11 PM]

Quote:
Original post by linuxgyro
Is there a compiler that you download and its ready to use? I run linux but this is too difficult "copy the th2987.dll to the lib folder..." and it doesnt even work. Actually im doing thhis in win2k. i am trying to write a game and all, but i cant even get started. i even thought about downloading a program that you just point and click, but i acnnot get it started and its pretty bad what the samples that come with it either lag or are super choppy. so i want to make my own game. i have dev-cpp and an old version of borland. i also tryed doing up sdl and directx, but i cant beyond the initalizing of the program before it comes up with 20 or more errors, and those are copy and paste.

anyone know a good c++ compiler that has support dor directx, opengl, or sdl. and dont say glut, unless that sucker is as a .exe file and installs a real program that i dont have to compile.

If you have Dev-C++ installed that is all you need to make a game using OpenGl or SDL. "File > New > Project" then select "OpenGl" under the "multimedia" tab, that will create a simple OpenGl application for you. As for the rest of it, downoad the Redbook which will run you through everything you need to know about OpenGl :-)

its true that i am running linux, but i cannot get the opengl to work. thus i doubt that i would be able to get sdl to work and directx is not available.

Which would you all say that i should program in. i have experence in vb and in making and editing guis in linux. (i rewrote the red hat installer) I was thinking either sdl or opengl so that i could port it to the superior os-> linux.

Quote:
Original post by linuxgyro
its true that i am running linux, but i cannot get the opengl to work. thus i doubt that i would be able to get sdl to work and directx is not available.

Which would you all say that i should program in. i have experence in vb and in making and editing guis in linux. (i rewrote the red hat installer) I was thinking either sdl or opengl so that i could port it to the superior os-> linux.

For linux you need to make sure you include the correct headers and libs. You can get the current libs and headers at http://www.opengl.org

@ TheNobleOne..

You type either gcc or g++.

gcc builds c programs, and g++ builds c++ programs. Thanks for clarifying!

iv decided to learn sdl. it runs faster on my pc than opengl, plus opengl is mainly for really graphical programs, but the program i am eventually going to make will only be moderate graphics. plus i am having someone make graphics for me so that is that much easier for me.
I already know how to program in linux, and i know that i need opengl to program in it. the problem is that it wont initalize. here is a link to my forum request debaiting that: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-389939.html
I also find that i have sdl working now (mostly) and i found a tutorial that is outdated, but will get me started.

btw, thanks xyuri, the post about the dev-cpp, i had no clue to look there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!