• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
joshualimm

OpenGL Help: Porting issues (Win32 to Linux).

This topic is 4755 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I've been working on an opengl project on windows, and everything worked fine. But now that I've ported it over to Linux, there seem to be some problems with my shading. My entire scene loaded fine, and everything (models, textures, animations) work correctly. However, some parts of my models appear to be too brightly lit, and my spheremapping seem to appear incorrectly. Currently, I'm away from my home pc, so I can only capture a pic from linux. As you can see, some part of the model are correctly mapped, whereas the rest just appear to be a single color. I'm sure that I've exported the uv coordinates as well as the normals correctly because it worked perfectly on my Win32 machine. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Spheremapping gone wrong Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Circled area should have darker shade Can someone help? Btw, I'm using GLUT. Therefore I simply recompile the entire source code without modification thanks!

Advertisement
well, on my windows machine, the graphics card IS ATI (Radeon 9000 pro). But I'm not sure about the one in the linux machine. Is there any article that deals with such porting issues? eg, what needs to be modified when porting?

My models were created and exported using Milkshape, so I've no way to open it up on the linux machine.

please help!

hi all. Sorry for all the trouble, but I've managed to fix the error. Turns out that my model loader routine did not allocate enough memory for some other data, and as a result, a portion of my normals data was overwriten (causing the affected faces to be shaded incorrectly). So sorry for all the trouble. And I thought it was opengl's fault!! Sorry again! The reason the shading looked different on different os/machines was because of the way the os handled memory access. Phew, managed to get it working.

Thanks for the support and interest! And once again, sorry for the trouble. Cheers!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!