• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

start making games

This topic is 4484 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Definately check out the For Beginners section as well as the For Beginners Forum FAQ, as both contain some excellent information.

There are two basic paths you can look at - either learning to program, or using authoring-systems that do most of the work for you (which may in fact involve some programming, but a lot less of it, usually with a simpler scripting language).

Authoring systems are good because they allow you to create a game fairly quickly and relatively easily. Usually you won't need too much programming knowledge with this path, although many of these types of programs allow you to use a fairly simple scripting language. The down side of authoring systems is that they're quite limited in what they can do, which means you have to design a game which fits with the capabilities of the system you choose. I've never really used one myself, but I believe some of the common suggestions include GameMaker, RPGMaker, and The Games Factory (by Clickteam). Google for those if you're interested, I'm sure you'll find more information than I'm able to offer.

Now, programming. Learning to program games can be a pretty difficult task, but it's also very rewarding. You aren't limited with your game designs as you are with authorware, only by what you can learn to program, so it's a lot less restrictive. Generally it's considered best to get one or more books on your chosen programming language when learning, and then sumplement that with online tutorials and resources as well as questions in the forums. Some common choices of language include C, C++, C#, Java and Python.

Personally, I'm going to recommend that if you're interested in programming you look at either Python (and the PyGame library), or learn to program in Scheme using the ebook How To Design Programs. Python will probably allow you to get an actual game created faster if that's important to you, while I believe learning with Scheme will probably make you a better programmer in the long run.

In any case, the important thing is to pick a language and stick with it. You will get stuck at some points and it can be fairly difficult, but once you learn your basics properly with one language you'll find it's generally a lot easier to pick up any other language you might need/want to learn later.

Hope that helps. [smile]

Like people suggested, find what language, system, etc you want to focus on, then stick with that.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but it's expected that you do some research to show that you did try to find answers. We all are willing to help you, so keep that in mind [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement